1 large, 1 small water heaters - which 1 first?

John Kogel

Before I added a 10 I would rewire the 40 for simultaneous firing of both elements. You're adding another wire anyway, so try that first, it might be enough.

That requires adding one 20 amp circuit, right?

30 A, 2 pole. Just like clothes dryers.

Marc

I just took a look at it, 3000 W elements, max 18.75 amps on a 20 amp circuit.

20 Amp circuit only good for 16 amps (80%) continuous.

How'd you get 18.75 anyway?

Marc

Before I added a 10 I would rewire the 40 for simultaneous firing of both elements. You're adding another wire anyway, so try that first, it might be enough.

Marc

Marc

That 18.75 max is on the label, manufacturer's spec. Giant is the brand, made in good old Quebec. [:)]

A 20 amp circuit is typical for electric water heat here in Canada, except for the very large tanks with bigger elements which get bumped up to 30.

Marc

Marc

That 18.75 max is on the label, manufacturer's spec. Giant is the brand, made in good old Quebec. [:)]

A 20 amp circuit is typical for electric water heat here in Canada, except for the very large tanks with bigger elements which get bumped up to 30.

18.75 amps is standard for an electric water heater with two 4,500w elements. Maybe that's the maximum rating for the water heater, even if 3,000w elements are installed.

On the other hand, maybe you were reading the wattage from the 208v column instead of the 240v column? (A 4,500 watt element would only produce 3,300 watts or so at the lower voltage.)

Marc

Marc

18.75 amps is standard for an electric water heater with two 4,500w elements. Maybe that's the maximum rating for the water heater, even if 3,000w elements are installed.

On the other hand, maybe you were reading the wattage from the 208v column instead of the 240v column? (A 4,500 watt element would only produce 3,300 watts or so at the lower voltage.)

Max amps for 120, 208, or 240 volts - 18.75 amps

Max rating - 4500 W

So if we need faster hot water, I could replace the 3000 W element(s).

. . . Max amps for 120, 208, or 240 volts - 18.75 amps

Max rating - 4500 W

So if we need faster hot water, I could replace the 3000 W element(s).

If you mean to replace it with a 4,500 watt element, then you'll need to replace the entire 20-amp circuit with a 30-amp circuit.