Carpenter work

My friend's client wanted Southern Yellow Pine paneling, horizontal, no corner trim, and that is what he got...a kind of down-home minimalism. Comments?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016311181826_IMG_1650_resize.jpg

50.23 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016311181916_IMG_1661_resize.jpg

53.12 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016311181957_IMG_1662_resize.jpg

46.09 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016311182028_IMG_1660_resize.jpg

56.14 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201631118210_IMG_1651_resize.jpg

56.05 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201631118228_IMG_1640_resize.jpg

77.45 KB

...the exterior is a kind of shiplap the builder called "nickle-back", and which the builder didn't like. It is just siding over a wrb and sheathing as needed...the corner with the windows was engineered. I "busted" them for the grade right at the bottom of the entry that makes a reverse "landing". The goal was no casing even at openings, but premade/hung units made that a little unreachable.

Where there is casing it is reduced to 1 1/4 or so.

From what I can see, the interior details look nice. Personally, I like a simple, minimalist look if the other architectural details support it. But as Jim hinted, SYP doesn't play well with temperature and (especially) moisture exposure/changes. I suspect that the siding will be doing the "twist and shout" and working it's way off the home shortly. 30-80 year old cedar or cypress looks better around here in a similar climate than 5 year old pine--even if was carefully back primed and painted.

My siding description was only for the vertical stuff. The horizontal lap is 3/4 pine also, and is back-primed and treated with some kind of sealing agent that was applied before a "pickling".

I don't like the way it fails to "kill" into the window and door frames.

Around here pine is used a lot for lap siding, and, like any wood it does respond to weather and light effects.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201631293037_IMG_1653_resize.jpg

96.99 KB

What I "busted" the builder the most about was some barge rafters that are going to twist like licorice sticks in a short time.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201631293218_IMG_1648_resize.jpg

120.39 KB

John, the style ain't for everybody. The builder told me earlier that this client was among the most eccentric he has dealt with.

I think it was Thoreau in "Walden Pond" who said that when a man builds a house he is just making a wooden box to die in.

I don't like the corners without trim. Wood doesn't take 90 degree turns in the real world, so why force it? It just doesn't look right to me.

I like it because because of that. They did a nice job matching the grain on the corners. I also like the flat sawn panels better than if they were rotary cut. Don't see much of that with pine.

I still want to know how they sealed the ends of the rafters where they die into the sidewall on the uphill side of the roof.

Those rafter don't die there, they pass thru.

Between, tho I did not climb or inspect there, just solid blocking is my guess...

Builder did not like the length of rafter extension into open air due to rotation concerns but also hung those barges I would never have done.