Hardi Stuff

kurt

What warnings, if any, do people indicate in their reports when they find Hardiboard siding that was installed the old way....i.e., without the metal flashing and without the now required clearance between the siding and horizontal surfaces like drip caps and horizontal band trim?

The installation is >15 years old and it's in perfect condition. How heavy do folks lean on the idea it's wrong beyond just pointing it out and explaining the particulars?

I regularly recommend inserting flashing behind the old caulked butt joints because they *always* fail in my area and they're a maintenance headache. I have a very simple method for fixing this that takes little time and works well.

I don't mention the caulk-filled spaces between head flashings and siding unless I see some kind of problem that's related to it. I have yet to see such a problem.

I regularly recommend inserting flashing behind the old caulked butt joints because they *always* fail in my area and they're a maintenance headache. I have a very simple method for fixing this that takes little time and works well.

I don't mention the caulk-filled spaces between head flashings and siding unless I see some kind of problem that's related to it. I have yet to see such a problem.

How exactly do you go about adding the flashing pieces to the but joints? I would imagine you slip it in behind the joints and use a face nail through the siding at the course above to hold it?