How would you write this up?

If I see anything I think might be a cause for question, even though I know it's not a problem, I'll snap a picture of it. Then, when I'm scrolling through my pictures and talking with the client I'll point it out and tell them not to worry about it. Sometimes things get a verbal mention to avoid future confusion but they do not make the report.

This is one of the arguments for taking pictures and archiving them for every job.

I do the same; show them pics on site of the crawl because most (all) are never going in there. Of all the stuff that builds the client relationship, going in a crawl has got to be a top fiver.

...a brick house near here is two storey and, under direction of the eccentric owner, all the outside joints were left like that, to a surprisingly repulsive effect. Around here people call it "the castle"...don't think I have pics left, but I inspected a 3 storey tower stuck on the side that leaked for that owner.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201652182115_Mvc-296s.jpg

58.29 KB

...a brick house near here is two storey and, under direction of the eccentric owner, all the outside joints were left like that, to a surprisingly repulsive effect. Around here people call it "the castle"...don't think I have pics left, but I inspected a 3 storey tower stuck on the side that leaked for that owner.

Those I write up when in combination with an absence of weeps. It's conducive to moisture infiltration issues, somewhat related to the issue with split-face block.

Marc

I see this all the time inside the attic spaces for the common walls. In areas where no one is going to go, it is just not aesthetically pleasing, but it isn't considered a defect. Some houses we have too much to write up already. When there are too many things in a report that don't have any meaning, it takes away from the importance of the things that do.

That pic stays on the cutting room floor in my editing room.

I see this all the time inside the attic spaces for the common walls. In areas where no one is going to go, it is just not aesthetically pleasing, but it isn't considered a defect. Some houses we have too much to write up already. When there are too many things in a report that don't have any meaning, it takes away from the importance of the things that do.

That pic stays on the cutting room floor in my editing room.

That's a really good point. I have no problem including lots of little defects in my report if there are lots of little defects in the house, but the sloppy mortar in the original post falls way short of being a defect.