Paint Failing - Opinions?

Tom Breslawski

I spoke to Chad about this earlier, but thought I'd put it out for some more feedback;

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016517171239_IMG_3958.jpg

47.84 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016517171358_IMG_3959.jpg

73.64 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016517171454_IMG_3960.jpg

78.67 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016517171519_IMG_3956.jpg

59.86 KBthe paint is failing on the exterior of my house, mostly on the west wall. Wife & I decided to repaint this year. We've been here just over 10 years and haven't painted yet.

Checking it out this morning, here's what I came up with;

I use a scraper to get started but afterwards, the paint peels off in large sheets. It's clearly not adhering to the cedar siding, but this is only on the west side.

The previous owner must have caulked in between the siding gaps (most are about 1/8 inch). Any idea why he would have done this?

I'd like to paint with linseed oil paint, however this condition is only on one wall of the house. The rest of the house can probably just be painted with exterior latex, so I'm not sure that I want to strip the entire house when it's not necessary.

The other option that I'm aware of is sanding followed by priming and painting. What type of primer would you recommend for cedar like this? Oil based?

Do I have any other options that have been overlooked?

Yes, that's what I've always thought too. There always seems to be some disagreement out there about it.

The house was painted when I bought it 12 years ago however, so we're making the best of the situation.

I thought that wood shingles weren't supposed to be painted. They breathe moisture and paint gets in the way of that.

Marc

From the photos of the paint chips it looks like it adhered to the shingles, but some cedar came with the paint. If the cedar was heavily weathered it should have been scraped, sanded, or power washed (which damages the shingles if not careful).

I think you have to get rid of the UV damaged surface and then you should use a pigmented stain. A paint film on old cedar is probably asking for failure.

Thanks. I'm going to keep working on it over the next few days. The paint only failed like this on the west side of the house. It's in really good shape on the rest, which is why I'd prefer painting instead of stain.

We'll see how it goes.

I still can't figure out why he caulked between the shakes.

This guy liked caulk.

From the photos of the paint chips it looks like it adhered to the shingles, but some cedar came with the paint. If the cedar was heavily weathered it should have been scraped, sanded, or power washed (which damages the shingles if not careful).

I think you have to get rid of the UV damaged surface and then you should use a pigmented stain. A paint film on old cedar is probably asking for failure.