Timed Bath Fan Control

Jerry Simon

New construction bath fan control; timed GE switch I believe.

Switch would not consistently turn on and off. It would work in various timer positions as I switched from one to the other, but then the switch would die; I'd mash all the buttons repeatedly and it wouldn't do anything. Then, later, it would work.

I'm pretty sure this was user-error as a couple such switches in the house did the same thing. Can anyone tell me the error of my ways?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201652520640_Bath%20Fan%20Timer.jpg

12.16 KB

I've run across something similar in new construction where the fan would not turn off. The builder told me that it had to do with some new energy efficiency requirement. He did not fully understand and neither did I. We both thought it was stupid. He was just doing something he was told had to be done. Maybe someone else will chime in with better info.

I had an issue when I first encountered the GE countdown timer. I think it gets confused when you push several buttons in a short amount of time. I just pressed and held the large bypass button and it cleared the confusion.

I now operate only 1 button for a quick check. If it doesn't work at all, it's probably because the ground wire didn't get connected.

Found this online:

OPERATION

For timed switching, simply press the 5 min., 15 min., 30 min., 1 hour, 2 hour or 4 hour pad on the face of the timer. The blue LED will blink to let you know the last time used. You may either select a new time or press the big button, and it will turn on for the last time used. Timer will blink every 20 seconds to show the last time used. If you hold the big button down for 5 seconds it will turn on and stay on until hit again.

To turn lights on with no end time push and hold big button for 3 seconds. Lights will stay on until big button is pressed to turn off lights

Seems it's not as simple as one would think. What Bill K said.

Marc

New rule here - the bath exhaust fan runs on low speed 24/7. A switch puts the fan in high speed. Passive air intake vents have to be installed in the upper quadrant of the walls.

The continuous exhaust fan is supposed to overcome the problem of poor air circulation, houses built super-tight to meet the new energy rules. So because the house is now super efficient in retaining heated air, we have to pump that warmed air out. [:)]

Found this online:

OPERATION

For timed switching, simply press the 5 min., 15 min., 30 min., 1 hour, 2 hour or 4 hour pad on the face of the timer. The blue LED will blink to let you know the last time used. You may either select a new time or press the big button, and it will turn on for the last time used. Timer will blink every 20 seconds to show the last time used. If you hold the big button down for 5 seconds it will turn on and stay on until hit again.

To turn lights on with no end time push and hold big button for 3 seconds. Lights will stay on until big button is pressed to turn off lights

Seems it's not as simple as one would think. What Bill K said.

Marc

That sounds like something a home inspector would write. . .

To add to the confusion, some of the newer fans do not start immediately when power is applied. They have a sensor built in that varies the fan speed to account for static pressure in the duct. The last Panasonic I installed takes roughly 15 seconds to get going, and it confuses pretty much everyone who turns it on.