beefing truss for engine hoist

How long's it take to strip it down and reassemble it? Just a rough approximation of hours, I understand it's not your full time job.

Not including pulling and installing the engine;

Once its on the engine stand maybe 2 hrs for disassembly including good labeling of parts for installation in original position.

To reassemble short block might take 3 hrs. Sounds like a small amount of time but consider that the need for critical measurements is not there. It's a 70k mile engine and everything has been happy all along. So no need for checking bearing clearances or end gapping piston rings. etc...

For drinking beer and dinkin around, double these times.

Or install the new head gaskets, polish it up and trade it for something else. A red convertible with a clean engine will sell pretty quick.

The red one is my sons. The car that I'm working on is a 92 LX Hatchback which is mine. I have too much money in it to think about selling it. I'd be lucky to get half of what I have in it. If I were in financial distress that story might be different. But I'm not so I'll keep it going for now. Just not gonna go an insane spending spree. This stock 302 has some good life left in it and I'm gonna milk it for all its worth.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016814213155_IMG_2429.jpg

45.35 KB

So, it's like a one day job. I've totally lost track of engine work. I haven't worked on a car in any manner for >30 years. I thought it would be about 3 days or something.

I get you're angle, when you consider time involved. Time equals money so why not do what you do and pay someone else to do what they do. The bottom line is really trust, not money. If you trust someone else more than yourself, pay them to do it. Otherwise, do it yourself.

I'm sure the machine shop guy is gonna look at me like I'm from outer space when I tell him I want to deck the block, and nothing else. He's gonna have to trust me, and I him. Otherwise I'll find another machine shop.

I get you're angle, when you consider time involved. Time equals money so why not do what you do and pay someone else to do what they do. The bottom line is really trust, not money. If you trust someone else more than yourself, pay them to do it. Otherwise, do it yourself.

No, that's not it at all. I haven't worked on car engines in so long I don't know. I have absolutely no idea.

I rebuild the carbs on my boat engine. I get the trust part.