Inspecting and Testing Overhead Garage Doors

hausdok

Can you describe what you are talking about here?

"Run each door up and down a couple of times. Ensure the door is moving smoothly and isn't hanging up in the track. Check every dolly axle while doing so. It's amazing how many of these are missing ball bearings and are ready to pop off the track."

I'm not sure which parts you are referring to when you say "dolly axle" and "ball bearing". I'm not trying to be smart, I really want to know.

Thanks!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL,

That actually happened to me, Bill. I used to adjust the down-force setting rather than write it up. One day, after tweaking the setting and getting the door just right, I was walking away from opener when I heard an odd popping/fizzing sound. I turned around just in time to see a cloud of dust just like that come rolling out of the opener. The next day, I went out there and replaced it. Now I write 'em up; I don't care if it will take two seconds to fix - I don't intend to pay for another danged opener.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 9 months later...

I'm glad to have an official procedure to follow when it comes to inspecting newly constructed homes when I have an opportunity to aggravate another "Built to Code" developer/builder/contractor/subcontractor. Saying it feels like too much pressure won't get the point over and the deficiency corrected.

Sometimes it just a great day to be a home inspector. Oooh! I can just see the red face, beads of sweat, and cursing under their breath (if the buyer is present) when they find out they have to move the control switch and come up with the safety labels! Dumb-ass home inspector!