Excessive Gas Usage in Appartment

fayemorris

My daughter just moved into an apartment in VA in August and her gas usage is Excessive! 122 CU from Aug 18 - Sept 16. That's more than we used in our 3000+ sqft home in February! They have gas hot water and an Appolo heating/cooling system. We just had the gas meter replaced and the hot water heater checked, and they seem fine. The gas company has verified there is no leak. Anyone have any idea if the Appolo system could be the cause? They are not running heat, just cooling, and their usage is still much higher than the surrounding units.

Other units in the building are using 20-30 CU for the same time period. Something is wrong and the only thing we can come up with is the heating/cooling system is somehow using gas while it's in cooling mode. Any advice would be appreciated. We are basically trouble shooting this remotely through maintenance in a college complex. We were onsite yesterday with the gas company and the maintenance man and when we left the gas man still thought we had a problem but the maintenance man didn't.

What if (just what if) the gas line to her unit is tapped to other units and those other units are adding up the usage?

I know that is a serious stretch, but strange things can happen.

I actually saw that in a Baltimore row home. There was gas supplying the one I was inspecting. The meter had been removed and a pipe was coming through the wall from an adjoining row home.

Other units in the building are using 20-30 CU for the same time period

As others have stated, it's quite possible that another unit is enjoying some "free" gas. Next time they're away from the house, shut off all gas/ pilots to the unit, and take note of the exact meter read. When they come home, check it again and see if it has advanced.

It's possible that there's crossed meters as well. (e.g., the meter that is billed to them, is actually feeding a different unit).

I don't think other units are using her gas because when they killed the pilot light on the hot water heater, the meter didn't move. Being 100% certain is going to be a challenge because the hot water heater and Appolo system are behind a locked door.

The only thing we can think is that it has something to do with the Appolo system and that it must be using gas in the summer during cooling. no idea how that can happen though.

I don't think other units are using her gas because when they killed the pilot light on the hot water heater, the meter didn't move. Being 100% certain is going to be a challenge because the hot water heater and Appolo system are behind a locked door.

The only thing we can think is that it has something to do with the Appolo system and that it must be using gas in the summer during cooling. no idea how that can happen though.

Smells like a leak, pun not intended.

Marc

There should be a water supply line to the heat coil and a water return line. Usually, both of those lines have cut-off valves to stop the water flow to the heat coil. Make sure both are turned off, that way no heated water is going anywhere but to domestic use. Obviously, when you want heat, you need to turn them back on. There is a small pump on the fan coil unit and the unit may be circulating heated water even when the A/C coil is being used, and the two systems can be fighting each other.