Aluminum siding sucks heat from the house

Mike Lamb

My client wants to change the siding on the house he's buying from aluminum to vinyl claiming aluminum pulls heat from the house in winter. At least one remodeling website I looked at supports this. It makes some sense but is it a valid conclusion?  I cannot find a credible study to support this.

I'm sure the panel would conduct heat along its length.  I can't fathom a panel extending into a conditioned space of the house though.

Where's that website you mentioned?  I'm sure remodelers would love it if it were true, maybe enough to convince themselves it were.

Aluminum is a great conductor of energy and vinyl is a poor conductor so yes in theory it is a true statement... BUT!

Big BUT! siding is not designed to stop thermal conductance of energy through a wall, it is designed to protect it from the elements. The thickness and conductance of the materials in question are so negligible as to be meaningless in real life.

This theory may have its beginnings based on the overall "feel" or even energy savings when installing vinyl over or replacing other sidings when also installing insulation under the siding. Even a moderate amount of insulation can have a significant effect when installed over otherwise uninsulated or poorly insulated houses. 

On 5/11/2017 at 9:54 AM, Chad Fabry said:

The siding radiates only the heat that has already escaped the conditioned space of the structure.

Good statement. Now when it comes to camper shells those aluminum ones are terrible for radiating heat. In the winter. It's better to get outside into a tent than stay on the metal bed with a metal shell.