Sign in to follow this  
palmettoinspect

Granulated Mod Bit or 90 Lb Felt

I'm looking at this screen porch low slope roof that was recently replaced. It's a really ugly install. The roofer called in 90 lb felt, but it looks like the top layer of a granulated mod bit roof to me that was installed over the existing roof. Can anyone clarify from these pictures?  

Thanks,

Kiel

PB171725.JPG

PB171726.JPG

PB171727.JPG

PB171728.JPG

PB171730.JPG

I agree it's Mod Bit.  The folds alone make it a defective install.  Looks like it was neither mopped nor torched but attached with a generous application of roofing cement and a few surface nails.  It's the classic DIY, nothing professional about it.  Not a problem over a screened porch if the buyer doesn't mind occasional leaks, otherwise replace it.

It might be asphalt roll roofing. (The wrinkles and the thin edge in the last picture suggest this.) Try to tear an edge. If it tears easily, it's roll roofing. If you can't tear it, it's mod bit. 

The installation is a disgrace. 

Isn't Mod Bit glossy black on the underside? Yes, it is, and that is not.

Does anybody that installs roofing automatically become a "roofer"?  Seems to be the case, unfortunately.

Edited by John Kogel

...the little trough where the upper slope meets the lower one is a drainage ditch.  Hope it slopes to one side or the other like a gutter.  BTW those shingles on the upper slope look fried like a rasher of bacon by their shipwrecked seaman's exposure to too much sun.