Oil Tank

Darren

Extremely unusual for an indoor, above-ground tank filled with a substance that generally protects metal from corrosion. 

We generally see corrosion at the very bottom of the tank, where water (from condensation) tends to collect. 

I would be *so* tempted to poke it, but doing so would be folly. 

not so unusual for interior rusting here in Michigan.  We typically have  partially conditioned basements and half full tanks.  Not unusual to pull several fluid oz of water out of tank at start of heating season. 

This is a pinhole in my opinion.  Empty tank, clean area, apply Teaberry chewing gum.

Seriously, I would write it as needing attention.

Here, the tank needs to be inspected every 10 years. The furnace oil company usually does this, and how is up to them, but a pressure test is normal. Then a label is attached with the date.

That tank would fail the inspection. Not likely it would be patchable either. The  tank inspector is not going to pass a tank that could flood the basement.

A few years ago now, a house had to be demolished after a basement oil spill. People are not as resilient as they used to be, as it has a lot to do with carcinogens in the oil. The other issue is spills from outside tanks flowing into fish-bearing creeks. That is why the tanks are inspectied every 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...