Sign in to follow this  
Tom Breslawski

What is this?

I found this in the attic of a 1955 built cape cod.  Snow all over the roof so I couldn't get up there and see what (if anything) penetrates through. 

Any idea what this is?

Thanks!

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

ours had an indicator needle and a large rocker switch.  Channel four was S-SW and channel six was straight south.  State of the art stuff in 1956.

• Like 1

My understanding is that the motors in them were stepper motors.  They increment a certain number of degrees, one step at a time., until it matched the angular direction of the knob on the controller in the house.  The controller was marked North, South, etc

Edited by Marc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom Raymond said:

Never saw one with the motor inside. 

I remember having one when i was a kid. Does that make me old?

Congratulations Tom.  Welcome to the club of the old and not famous.

Les had it: the ones with motors were the elite.

Edited by Marc

Grew up exactly halfway between NYC & Philly.  Everyone had one. Bzzzz click bzzzz click bzzzz click - for like 10 minutes to go from North to south.

13 hours ago, Bill Kibbel said:

Grew up exactly halfway between NYC & Philly.  Everyone had one. Bzzzz click bzzzz click bzzzz click - for like 10 minutes to go from North to south.

Bill, you are right.  I had forgotten the delay, especially when Howdy Dowdy was on!  Remember when the National Anthem started and finished the day of broadcast? 

1 hour ago, Les said:

Bill, you are right.  I had forgotten the delay, especially when Howdy Dowdy was on!  Remember when the National Anthem started and finished the day of broadcast? 

Weren't the Bruiser & Crusher on right after the morning anthem?

• Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 4:30 AM, Les said:

ours had an indicator needle and a large rocker switch.  Channel four was S-SW and channel six was straight south.  State of the art stuff in 1956.

Heck, I installed a new one in 1990. Even swinging it back & forth pointing at Portland and Eugene, we only got 3 channels. 

Where's O'Handley with his story of being the motor for his parents antenna, in the snow, on a steep roof?

We had one for a Moonraker directional beam CB antenna. Lil bigger, but same kind of beast.

Yeah, I remember the Anthem playing start and end of day. Kinda miss that....