HI Artography - Scorched Wire

5 hours ago, Mike Lamb said:

Olympus TG-4.  Kurt recommend it while back and I'm happy with it. It has a bad habit of going into video mode if you brush the button but I can live with that.

I had the TG5. It was too heavy and it was incapable of taking a photo of a data label in dark environment. I had to carry a Big Larry floodlight or the flash or LED on the camera would wash the label with too much light. 

I'm carrying ancient SW1030's- one of the original Olympus Tough cameras.  They were a thing around 2006. I buy them used on eBay for 20 bucks.

10 hours ago, Chad Fabry said:

I had the TG5. It was too heavy and it was incapable of taking a photo of a data label in dark environment. I had to carry a Big Larry floodlight or the flash or LED on the camera would wash the label with too much light. 

I'm carrying ancient SW1030's- one of the original Olympus Tough cameras.  They were a thing around 2006. I buy them used on eBay for 20 bucks.

Try getting a ring light for the Olympus Toughs. It makes a vast improvement in the macro shots. 

4 hours ago, Jim Katen said:

Try getting a ring light for the Olympus Toughs. It makes a vast improvement in the macro shots. 

I had the light ring / flash diffuser. It helped. It was one more thing to carry because you had to take it off for normal shots that required normal flash.

Using the zoom worked for water heater and evaporator labels, but when you have to jam the camera into a furnace within 4 inches of the label, the camera's shortcomings were insurmountable.

I read a number of users went back from the TG5 to the TG4.  

I use a Ricoh WG-50.

Has the light ring built in for macro shots.

Carry it in a belt pouch with a lanyard around my neck.  Simple one handed photo operation.

Has a decent optical zoom and digital zoom.

Had it for a few years now.

https://www.amazon.com/Ricoh-WG-30W-Digital-Camera/dp/B00OAP5Y34/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1524943768&sr=8-6&keywords=ricoh+wg-30