Distance from brick veneer to grade

Here in central/south Alabama it is now common for the grading to completely cover the sides of slabs (folks think it is prettier that way), and in some rare cases the first course of the brick veneer. I have found reference for distance to grade for wood siding, but I am not sure about a standard for brick. I called out this condition on a new home because the grading actually covered the weep holes, and the client is having this addressed. The contractor wants clarification on exactly how much distance is required between grade and brick. In my report I called for 4". Anyone know of a code reference or standard? TIA

Tim

Hi,

In some places it's customary to cast a brick edge in the thickened footing edge along the bottom of the slab and then grout the cavity between the brick and footing until one course below the surface of the slab and bottom of the sills, where the row of bricks with weep holes are laid over through-wall flashings.

Check out item #8 at this link to the Masonry Advisory Council

Also check out this technical note at the BIA.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi,

In some places it's customary to cast a brick edge in the thickened footing edge along the bottom of the slab and then grout the cavity between the brick and footing until one course below the surface of the slab and bottom of the sills, where the row of bricks with weep holes are laid over through-wall flashings.

Check out item #8 at this link to the Masonry Advisory Council

Also check out this technical note at the BIA.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thanks a bunch Mike, This is exactly what I needed.

Tim

Tech Note #7 is a very handy resource to hand to masons and builders when they question your call for weep holes. Most of them have never seen it. I regularly see lintels with no flashing or weeps along with the brick down to the ledge and no weep holes. Some put weep holes at the ledge (below ground level) and claim that's good enough.

I just give my client (and the mason - builder if appropriate) a copy of the tech note. Pictures are great. Sometimes its fixed and sometimes everybody just blows it off. But hey, my job is to provide information. Theirs is to act (or not) on that information.

Tim,

State of GA amends IRC requirement for clearance of wall cladding to grade to call for 2" clearance from wall cladding to paved surface. (This addresses the typical garage front wall where cladding meets paved drive.) This point is known access location for termites to get into the framing.

Brick veneer is excluded from clearance to grade requirement.