Sign in to follow this  
Jerry Simon

Truss thingys

What is/was the purpose of these 2x4 blocks strapped to the basement TJI ceiling trusses?  The top edges of the blue straps appear to have been cut, so I though they were straps used by a crane or some such to set the trusses.  However, the block/straps were only on every other truss???

013.JPG

Never heard of anyone setting I-joists with a crane. If they were trying to lift a unit of them, it would be stupid to run the strap through the middle.

Perhaps the strap had something to do with holding them down on a flatbed? 

Jerry,

I shot off an inquiry, along with a copy of your photo, to the APA-Engineered Wood Association help desk in Tacoma to see if they'd ever seen anything like that. I'm awaiting an answer.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

2 hours ago, hausdok said:

Jerry, do you have any more photos of those? They say they can't provide a response based on just that one photo.

No, sorry.  Each and every one looked exactly like the picture, though.  Appreciate your efforts, though.

2 hours ago, hausdok said:

Jerry, do you have any more photos of those? They say they can't provide a response based on just that one photo.

The straps do run through the truss web, and there is a mirror-image 2x4 & blue strap on the opposite side of the truss.