Radon testing advice

I need some help.

It is a strong possibility that I might be relocating and opening up another company this summer to Middle Tennessee(Nashville area). This area has Radon and most inspectors test for it. TN does not have any requirements for Radon testing that I have found.

I have never gotten involved in Radon as it is not an issue in central Mississippi.

Any advice as to the training and or equipment would be a great help. I think I would like to stay away from the canisters type of testing simple due to the logistics of sending them off etc.

The EPA doesn't run any training or certification programs anymore, but they do have a recognized training provider for those programs in each of their regions. The provider for the region covering both MS & TN is Auburn University. Most of the actual training happens in TN, where I took it. The test for certification is given at the end of the course, and if you pass you join one of the two EPA recognized certification programs (NEHA or NRSB, I think). Das it. Then it's just a matter of maintaining the certification with continuing ed, etc.

Brian G.

In MS Ra-don Is Probably Jo-don's Brother [:P]

www.accuspecllc.com

This is the system I use Scott. http://www.sunnuclear.com/products/radon/radon.asp Great little units. Place them, run for 48 hours, take your laptop out to the job, plug it in and you get instant readings.

I would strongly recommend going through the Radalink school for Radon testing. Dallas is a very good teacher. Testing for Radon is very simple however, you really should have training in the basics etc. http://www.radalink.com/

You can also choose to use Radalinks hardware as well but I prefer to own my own equipment (no rental fees).

Scott, you can't go wrong with Radalink.

Their two day training course (2 ASHI MRC's) is free if you lease a monitor within 90 days of taking it.

They have an extensive quality assurance plan that you can easily modify for your own use. That might not be a factor in Tennessee, but it's very important here in heavily regulated Pennsylvania.

The monitor couldn't be any easier to use. You place it and then enter the documentation online. Two days later you stop the test, upload the data via cell phone or landline, and within two hours the report is e-mailed or faxed to you, your client, agents, or whoever else you specify.

http://www.radalink.com

We have used Sun units for approx 12years. First year or so the service was a little iffy. Since 1996 I have never had a problem, other than the printers. We use both the software and/or the pin-printer. The thermal printer is not very good and we have had two pin printers burn-up.

At Inspection World I looked at the two new units they are introducing and will likely upgrade this summer. We have had approx 20 of their units.

Last year I needed a whole bunch of units for a Reserve Study and tried to buy any used ones around and got Zero response. Don't forget to factor in the calibration costs if you buy units.

Sun does the calibration at 125.00 plus shipping of 12.00. This is done each year and must be done. Every year I run the numbers to see if we make any money and every year we make just enough to keep doing it! I am a strong believer in keeping them at no more than 11months out of calibration. The newer units can be calibrated in-toto so that will save time of having to have them dis-assembled and then re-assembled at the lab.

Every cause of action in the courts with radon, I have been involved with, started out with devices out of calibration and/or improper protocols in placement and chain of custody. We are screeners only and do no installation or work on systems. We do charge 100.00 to inspect existing systems.

If your going to own your own Scott I would recommend buying two, six months apart from each other. As Les mentioned you will need to calibrate them 1x per year however, you need to cross check calibration every 6 months with a unit that has been factory calibrated no less than one month ago. You also need to cross check the units every 10 tests as well.

As I said there's a lot more that goes into it besides placing the monitor in the basement.

Scott,

Got our education via home study, UES, Inc. Dr. Houle has Ph. D. in Physics and has been administering his program for quite some time. He's based in PA (where they started the radon gas mania) and can be found here: www.uesinc.com

We have acquired over the course of five yrs, four Sun Nuc units (check eBay - always guys going out of business). Since our radon testing has declined over the past 3 yrs (contingency is getting Xed out due to multiple offers on same property), having four units works well. I stagger their calibration (and background measurements) in the slow months (Dec and Jan) with Bowser Morner (www.bowser-morner.com) in Ohio. Cost about $160 a unit to cal/bkg. I cross check every 6 months against another unit. I don't routine check my units, however, when I remember to, I will compare the units results with charcoal canisters from Radiation Data ($24/pr canisters includes s/h and analysis). RD serves as my backups as well.

We charge $120 a pop and test between 100-250 houses a yr...so the cost of upkeep is pennies compared the revenue that comes in.

May sound bad, but I hope for elevated readings. Once the home is mitigated, I have to re-test at the owners expense - haven't met a mitigator that will test their work (ironic in a way).

NRSB is a good association to be part of..relatively cheap $130 for 2 yrs and relaxed CE reqs (which again you can take care of at the comfort of your home thru UES).

Good luck in the Smokies.

Scott,

After you've been doing it for awhile and are familiar with all the issues, record keeping requirements, calibration checks and requirements, etc, Sun Nuclear may be the way to go.

BUT, When you are first getting into it, there's nothing out there that beats Radalink for helping you with all that crap and keeping you on track. Plus really good reports, and technical support. Client has a question, you don't know the answer, send em to Radalink and they'll answer all the questions.

SIDENOTE: It's my understanding that the upcoming legislation in Tennessee requires you to be a RESIDENT of the state for TWO YEARS before you can get a license. Might want to check that out. Contact Jack Feldman. He'll have the answer you need.

Radalink makes it painless for me. I don't do mitigation.

SIDENOTE: It's my understanding that the upcoming legislation in Tennessee requires you to be a RESIDENT of the state for TWO YEARS before you can get a license. Might want to check that out. Contact Jack Feldman. He'll have the answer you need.

Thanks for the information.

The 2yr requirement has to do with a person grandfathering their education requirements during the first 180 days of the law. Now some legislator has introduced another bill to put the active date of licensing off till July 1, 2007, instead of July 1, 2006.

http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/bill ... HB2577.pdf