Inspector recommends grout for masonry crack

pm124

We have a 120 year old building with a crack in the wall. We hired an inspector to look at it because we do not trust just hiring contractors. He recommended that we just reach down to it from the roof with a caulk gun and fill the with caulk. That is, put caulk in the gap formed in the mortar and in the gaps spanning the bricks. Moreover, the crack runs right next to where some other idiot decided to slap caulk on the outside of our building. This all seemed unbelievably foolish to me. 

Is there any merit to this claim?

Read Brick Industry Notes 46.  Pictures might help.  Is there something that is causing the cracks that needs to be addressed?  Caulking and grouting are different things.  I would not recommend caulk.  It does not breathe.

Go Brick

...Two methods used to repair mortar joints are face grouting and repointing. While both have been used successfully, they are intended for different purposes and vary in performance. Repointing is generally recommended and is performed more often because the procedure is better suited to correct various types and severities of mortar joint deterioration compared with face grouting....

Edited by Mike Lamb

On 9/6/2019 at 2:12 PM, pm124 said:

We have a 120 year old building with a crack in the wall. We hired an inspector to look at it because we do not trust just hiring contractors. He recommended that we just reach down to it from the roof with a caulk gun and fill the with caulk. That is, put caulk in the gap formed in the mortar and in the gaps spanning the bricks. Moreover, the crack runs right next to where some other idiot decided to slap caulk on the outside of our building. This all seemed unbelievably foolish to me. 

Is there any merit to this claim?

Is this the same building and the same crack in this topic: 

120 years old and six stories.

I'd suspect it was structural brick and not veneer but it looks like it transitions to something else. Is it a wood building with a brick façade or possibly a cement block structure with brick façade? Is that a straight joint all the way down? If so, it might be there for expansion. Any more pics?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 1 month later...