Tree stump in foundation

Katie Carini

Hi 

We are building a new home. Trees were taken down 4 years ago. After pouring the foundation, while digging out the center, they came across two tree stumps they did not hit while pouring the foundation. What is the best way to deal with this so we do not run the risk of termites in the future? The walls are two high to get a piece of equipment over to try to dig it out plus they don’t want to take a chance of damaging the integrity of the walls.

Thank you,

Katie 

The issue isn't the termites, it's that the stumps will eventually decay.  When they do, something, somewhere beneath the home will lose the support they once provided.

Get the stumps out...by hand if necessary.  I've done it before.

Finished 006.JPG

Edited by Marc

10 hours ago, Katie Carini said:

After pouring the foundation, while digging out the center, they came across two tree stumps they did not hit while pouring the foundation.

Also, there's something seriously wrong with this statement. Why are they digging out the center after having placed the perimeter? 

The stump, the second one that I pulled out, was a test of my resolve.  I felt I had to show myself I could do it. Took me months. Shovel and ax. Once it was out, it left a circular hole 9 feet in diameter and 28 inches deep.  A fire pit still sits where the tree once was.  Took me years to burn all the firewood that came from that tree....alright now...I'm done bragging.

Edited by Marc
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Marc said:

The stump, the second one that I pulled out, was a test of my resolve.  I felt I had to show myself I could do it. Took me months. Shovel and ax. Once it was out, it left a circular hole 9 feet in diameter and 28 inches deep.  A fire pit still sits where the tree once was.  Took me years to burn all the firewood that came from that tree....alright now...I'm done bragging.

Been there with Marc.  Mine was a cherry (Prunus nigra) stump that looked like a foxhole by the time I got done.  Shovel, mattock, ax, and a wheelbarrow load of resolve.