Bumps / holes on asphalt roof?

The 2 attached photos show small bumps and holes in an asphalt shingle roof. The house faces west and the damahe is only on the West side. There are two layers of shingles. The roof is 10+ years old. Anyone know what is causing this and what should be done about it? I have some ideas, but wanted to get another opinion.

Thank You

Mark

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Picture 038.jpg

151.69 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Picture 039.jpg

160.55 KB

Originally posted by AHIS

The 2 attached photos show small bumps and holes in an asphalt shingle roof. The house faces west and the damahe is only on the West side. There are two layers of shingles. The roof is 10+ years old. Anyone know what is causing this and what should be done about it? I have some ideas, but wanted to get another opinion.

Thank You

Mark

They're called "rash blisters." They're extremely common in my area. I see rash blisters a few times each week. They can be tough to spot unless the sun is low. I'm certain that they occur across most brands. They happen to cheap three-tabs and low-end laminated shingles alike. I've never seen them in high-end laminated shingles such as Presidentials. They always appear early in the shingles' life, certainly within the first year or two.

In any event, my opinion is that they have no effect on the life of the roof. Occasionally, if there's a lot of foot traffic, they'll shear off and you'll get pea-sized pocks on the shingles, though this is rare. Even when this happens, the problem seems to end there. It doesn't progress to a condition that would shorten the life of the shingle. This might not be the case in other climates, but up here, they're a minor glitch in the roof.

Here's a technical bulletin about them.

- Jim Katen

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif RashBlisters.pdf

34.12 KB

Hi Jim,

I remember that when I was going through training 10 years ago they told me that these were typically caused by a defective asphalt formulation in the shingle matting and were considered a manufacturing defect. I also remember that back then roofers around here were replacing them for that purpose.

Later on, as I learned what you have, it no longer seemed to be that big a deal and I've heard many times since that some manufacturers no longer replace them under warranty for this defect. This is the first time I've seen that document though I don't disagree with its conclusions.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi,

Go to this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx

and download the free image resizer for windows XP at this shortcut:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... ySetup.exe

It takes about a minute to load. Then go to each of those pictures in your pictures file, right click on them, choose to resize them and then re-name them and ensure there aren't any special symbols in their name and that they are the right type of file. If they are the wrong type, open them in one of the image editing programs and save them as a jpeg file and then attach them.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Okay,

You're getting there but you forgot to ensure that there weren't any spaces or special symbols in the name of the photo. Go to the pictures on your computer, right click them and then choose 'rename file'. Then change the name to Picture_039_Small or Picture039Small without the spaces between words and without the special symbols (parenthesis). Then go back to your post, click the 'edit post' icon and delete the two you've uploaded, load the renamed files and submit it. Then you'll have it. Then copy out the instructions and tack 'em to the wall near your monitor until you've got it down pat.

OT - OF!!!

M.