Your "If I could" dream vintage car

I want a 1996 Ford F-350 XLT. Regular cab, long box, 4x4, Powerstroke diesel, and a 5 speed stick.

The price of a new work truck makes me sick. $30K is nuts for a work truck, $50K+ is insane. I blame the soccer mommies that think they need a 3/4 ton to haul the kidlets to the ball field. They drove the price of a pick up truck out of the reach of a guy who would actually use it!!!!

Now if we're talking an older vehicle.... we'll I'd love to get my hands on an 80-86 F-250 4x4 with a 6.9IDI and a 4 speed stick. Those were tough trucks and would go halfway around the world on a few gallons of diesel.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I still had my baby blue '56 Ford Ranch Wagon (plain jane 2 door), and I wish it never leaked oil out of the rear main seal so nobody wanted it parked in front of their house, and I wish the frame wasn't rusted so bad that both front A-frames didn't break loose up a logging road 150 miles from home, so that the best we could do was tie the front axles up to the front bumper with chokers and limp it to a buddy's friend's place where it went to shore up the bank of the river. Yeah but it was a fun car and it could sure pack ladders for me now if I had it. [:)]

Click to Enlarge
tn_201061112647_56ford.jpg

46.23 KB

Talk about the Studebaker Hawk reminds me, my brother had a '53 Lowboy. Should have been the first American sports car, but somehow, that label went to the Corvette. No doubt, the Studeys were ahead of the pack. I like the no fins look, but they were all pretty cool. Even the trucks had style.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20106112637_53stude.jpg

38.08 KB

Think I shared this before...

Purchased this car, Austin-Healey MIII-3000 from my auto shop teacher in high school. It was a basket case - literally as most of the parts were in baskets. The engine and drive train were mounted but most everything else had to be put back together. Really was a fun project.

Like an ass I traded it in on a VW Bug. [:-paperba

Click to Enlarge
tn_201061141524_AH.jpg

5.75 KB

Terry, your Austin-Healey must have had the SU side draft carburators that leaked gas? Seems like that Austin motor block was used in the minis and sedans as well, and a lot of times with twin SU's, if I

recall. Austin perfected the gas-powered 4-bangers for that era, I think. Even Nash Metropolitans had that same little mill in them.

Hi to all,

I have lusted after one of these for way too many years. It's an Aston Martin DBV8, probably the worlds finest "muscle" car 160 mph hand built using the best english craftsmanship and materials ...........Beautifull

Regards

Gerry

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DBV8.jpg

61.71 KB

Still with us in spirit in this old thread from 2006, Gerry Beaumont. RIP.

Terry, your Austin-Healey must have had the SU side draft carburators that leaked gas? Seems like that Austin motor block was used in the minis and sedans as well, and a lot of times with twin SU's, if I

recall. Austin perfected the gas-powered 4-bangers for that era, I think. Even Nash Metropolitans had that same little mill in them.

Yep, had two oil filled, piston driven carbs. Never leaked gas though, must have been lucky. The MIII had a 6 banger with electric overdrive. Was a pretty quick car for the era. All the British sports cars did have Lucas electrics though. It had three settings - Off, On and Flicker.

I've always been a fan of the British sports car scene. Owned the MIII-3000, Austin-Healey Sprite (same as the MG Midget) and a MG MGB. Brother owned a 1966 Triumph Spitfire. If I could find a clean '66 Spitfire I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat. Those were the days.

Think I shared this before...

Purchased this car, Austin-Healey MIII-3000 from my auto shop teacher in high school. It was a basket case - literally as most of the parts were in baskets. The engine and drive train were mounted but most everything else had to be put back together. Really was a fun project.

Like an ass I traded it in on a VW Bug. [:-paperba

Click to Enlarge
tn_201061141524_AH.jpg

5.75 KB

I too had an Austin Healey 3000 MKIII from 1982 to 1985. Unfortunately, I sold it to get married and come up with a down payment on a home. In hindsight, I would have been far better off to have kept the car and not gotten married. Mine was a 1966 model, specifically a BJ-8. It was the next-to-last year produced, and it was considered a "civilized" sports car due to having roll-up windows. During the time preceding that, side curtains were considered the norm in a "real" sports car -- one was expected to brave the elements in a real sports car. These Healeys did have a beautiful burled English walnut dash, however. As well as the aforementioned temperamental Lucas electric systems. (For vintage British car owners, that's an old joke. In short, Lucas electrics are why the British drink warm beer.)

The engine in the later 3000's like mine was a straight six of Austin truck origin. Twin Su carbs that were a challenge to sync. Torquey as hell, but not a high-revver. Through a twin-pipe Ansa exhaust it sounded great, though.

Interestingly, I won some bets by proving that I could start it in high gear with the clutch engaged and then accelerate to top speed...in other words, without touching the clutch or shifting. Just turn the key, hit the gas softly (at first), and go!

I'd love to have the blue fuel injected '71 VW Squareback that I had in high school. I wonder if it's still around. If so, I'd hope it's in better shape than this one.

Through high school, I traded a '67 Beetle for the Squareback and traded the Squareback for a '74 Beetle. I was secure in my manhood. No automotive artificial testosterone needed for me!

I'd love to have the blue fuel injected '71 VW Squareback that I had in high school. I wonder if it's still around. If so, I'd hope it's in better shape than this one.

Through high school, I traded a '67 Beetle for the Squareback and traded the Squareback for a '74 Beetle. I was secure in my manhood. No automotive artificial testosterone needed for me!

Beetles were cool in their way. I got my licence in my mom's '54. Ran the battery dead one day, probably listening to the radio, 6 volt. There was a shallow ditch with a wide shoulder. I pushed it in neutral down into the ditch, jumped in, slammed it into 3rd, popped the clutch and it started. Drove it home the long way to charge up the battery. "How'd it go? Oh, fine." [:)]

Click to Enlarge
tn_201063225153_1954_Volkswagen_Beetle-oct3a.jpg

25.32 KB

I have had two '67 mustang coupes, but, my dream car is a '67 or '68 fastback. I never had the money to do much with the first two.

My first car was a '67 mustang that my dad gave 600.00 for back in '74. I rebuilt the little 289 in the summer of '75 between two-a-day workouts and eventually did enough to get down to 13.90's in the 1/4 with a ford toploader, 4.11 single track and some JC Penney retreaded slicks. Man those were the days! Oh yeah, it was that ugly Ford puke green and I loved that car!

I have had two '67 mustang coupes, but, my dream car is a '67 or '68 fastback. I never had the money to do much with the first two.

My first car was a '67 mustang that my dad gave 600.00 for back in '74. I rebuilt the little 289 in the summer of '75 between two-a-day workouts and eventually did enough to get down to 13.90's in the 1/4 with a ford toploader, 4.11 single track and some JC Penney retreaded slicks. Man those were the days! Oh yeah, it was that ugly Ford puke green and I loved that car!

With or without the vinyl?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201063235944_1968-Mustang-Coupe-White-front.jpg

38.8 KB

I saw one a couple of months ago, puke green with a trailer hitch bolted through the bodywork at the back, old guy driving.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010640017_MUSTANG.jpg

63.1 KB

Any opinions on this garage? [:)]

These are 68's BTW, couldn't find a green 67.

OK, here's a 67

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010640176_burnout_lores.jpg

6.03 KB

The first was green without vinyl and the second was silver with a black vinyl top. Second one never got the attention it deserved, I was in college and money was tight.

I like the bottom picture! I sure didn't mind lighting 'em up. I could do that from a second gear start. My home town wasn't so big back then and my Mom said she could always hear me coming, pretty much hear me all over town. Headers with some Thrush just a' hanging and it was pretty loud. I thought it sounded great, I should probably go give all my old neighbors a hug for putting up with me back then.

I like the bottom picture!

And you could use a new avatar. [:)]

pretty loud. I thought it sounded great, I should probably go give all my old neighbors a hug for putting up with me back then.
They knew it was just temporary. Nobody can afford that kind of fuel and rubber for long.[:)]

Now here's the inspector-mobile carcass ready for some serious cash input, all tax-deductible. [:)]

Click to Enlarge
tn_201064213536_Mustangwagon.jpg

30.65 KB

I like the bottom picture!

And you could use a new avatar. [:)]

pretty loud. I thought it sounded great, I should probably go give all my old neighbors a hug for putting up with me back then.
They knew it was just temporary. Nobody can afford that kind of fuel and rubber for long.[:)]

Now here's the inspector-mobile carcass ready for some serious cash input, all tax-deductible. [:)]

Click to Enlarge
tn_201064213536_Mustangwagon.jpg

30.65 KB

Ok. I'll ask. Just what have you grafted on to the rear of that 'stang?

For the record, my first 7 cars were '65-'66 Mustangs. I'd buy one, do a little restoration/repair and then sell it, rolling the profits into my next one. Pretty soon I had a paid-off car. My last one before buying an Austin Healey 3000 in college was a '66 GT. Candy apple red with white stripes. Yes, a real GT, but not the hi-po 289. I had to "settle" for a tweaked 289 4 barrel and 4 speed top loader from a '69 Torino. I loved that car, despite brakes and handling that were absolutely scary by today's standards.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/readerscars/v ... rt=20&id=2 Look for one of your 'stangs on this website.

That wagon is someone else's shame, not mine. [:)]

It does appeal to me as a tax free way to have fun though. I'd be inclined to go 4X4 with Bronco or Jeep running gear, it's already a bit of a monster. Inspection logos, my winter backup truck. Hmm.

My first car was a '75 Mustang Silver Ghia. What a dog it was. It was the only American car I've ever owned. I went from the Mustang to a '67 Beetle. The Beetle ran better!

Click to Enlarge
tn_201064235241_Mustang%20(Small).jpg

53.24 KB

Through the years:

'75 Mustang

'67 Beetle

'71 VW Squareback

'74 Beetle

'79 Volvo 240

'84 Toyota Camry

'89 Toyota Camry

'98 Nissan Frontier