Your "If I could" dream vintage car

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm drifting a little, but since this thread was resurrected from several years ago, and we don't talk much about cars . . .

What does everyone drive when you grow weary of--in my case, a big-ass truck with a ladder on top--your work vehicle? I have a 2005 Volvo s40 that's a welcome change. The Volvo has a turbo and a 6-speed manual transmission, so it's much more fun to drive than said big-ass truck.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20106520655_DSC01817.jpg

79.13 KB

Have any of you ever seen a 2 door Ford Excursion? Those are awesome, I'll take a 4x4 with a 7.3 Powerstroke please.

Yeah, but since those things each have their own zip code, you end up working for Uncle Sam for free as you process all the mail that arrives in them for distribution.

No thanks!

OT - OF!!!

M.

All I own is pick up trucks, and I drive pick up trucks at work. They just make me happy. I have a half ton long bed with a Supercab for hauling stuff and people. My other rig is a 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 460 V-8. Only gets 4mpg highway, but she'll haul 20K pounds up a ten percent grade at 100mph. It's all good.

Love me some Ford trucks!

Now my fiance asked me to buy her a rig. She fell in love with an 88 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition. Soon as I can scrape together the $2500 it'll be sitting in the driveway. It's a lot of money, but she's worth it.

Once the kids arrive we'd like to get a Centurion 4 door Bronco. The 1 ton version with 4x4 and a 460 V-8. Those are going for $6K to $8K when you can find one for sale. If we can't find one we'll get a diesel Excursion. Time to start saving and work a few more hours at work every week.

What does everyone drive when you grow weary of your work vehicle?

Horses.

Mountain Bike.

In my dreams, my first car........

Click to Enlarge
tn_20106603344_1950-chevrolet-styleline-business-coupe.jpg

28.15 KB

In reality, my wifes stinkin' Subaru Outback. [:)]

It really does stink too, since she brought home those live crabs about a month ago. [:)]

'06 Saab 9-3. Great car for drives on the Natchez Trace. It's a bit noisy on the interstate but I do enjoy the room to run. I drive a 03 Yukon Denali day to day and on long trips. The in-laws are in Orlando so we shoot down about 4 times a year. We're headed to Baton Rouge in 3 weeks for a short vacation. We'll take the Saab. It's fun to goof off in.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20106604650_Saab.jpg

73.8 KB

For the record, I snatched the photo off of the web. Mine is black with an ivory interior.

What does everyone drive when you grow weary of--in my case, a big-ass truck with a ladder on top--your work vehicle? I have a 2005 Volvo s40 that's a welcome change. The Volvo has a turbo and a 6-speed manual transmission, so it's much more fun to drive than said big-ass truck.

When I get tired of my 6,000 lb 2500 Dodge Diesel, I take to my 92' Sonoma compact pickup. It's so maneuverable compared to the Dodge, it's like a cat and the torquey 4.3 liter V6 puts everyone in my inside rear view mirror once I've cleared the insection. That's without punchin' the accelerator. It's a gift from my wife just before we got married 10 years ago.

Marc

I got bored one night a while back and made a photo essay of my vehicle history (excluding motorbikes).

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif dickscars.jpg

918.13 KB

The Lotus 7 (2nd down on left) was a blast but I don't think I could still perform the contortions needed to get into it. My "dream" would be a fully restored and modernized MkII Jaguar (3rd on 2nd row). I still think it's one of the best looking cars ever made. It's not going to happen but, while we are dreaming, there's a company in England that specializes in putting these back on the road.

http://www.jdclassics.co.uk/cars/jaguar-mkii

Feel free to get me one! Left hand drive please. Any color. [;)]

I may have to go back and re-read, but no one entered the name of my old baby. In high school (52-56) I had a 1950 Ford Convertible fully decked out. But my favorite car was the 1958 Corvette convertible I owned in the mid 60's. White, white top and red interior.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201066103234_Corvette.jpg

64.51 KB

Back in the early '60s my restoration project was a 1929 Ford Model A Business Coupe. Many scrounging trips in the coulees and junkyards in Northeast Montana collecting parts to make a "whole" car. I've not yet scanned in specific images from "my project", but here is one that is nicely done by a member of the Lone Star Model A Club.

One of the more 'dumb' things I did in my life was to sell the blame thing when I was in college.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201066111610_29-ModelA-BizCoupe.jpg

71.68 KB

What do you people do for a living? Volvos, Saabs, Corvettes,?

There is a saying....It's not how much you make it's how much you keep.

Work hard, save, always pay cash and never buy new. I'm shopping for a new work truck now. Just saw a used 05 BMW X5 with 50K on it. $15,000.

Work hard, save, always pay cash and never buy new.

I do that, of course when you make $28K a year with over time you kind of have to.

The most expensive vehicle I've ever owned cost $3,400. It was an 87 F-350 4x4. Regular cab, long bed, single rear wheel. XLT Lariat with all the bells and whistles. Manual transmission and a slider rear window. It was nice.

Moose are rare around here, very seldom seen. However one night coming up from Deary I clobbered one at 65mph. Truck didn't make it. Ripped the front axle clean off and smashed the front end real good. Even tore the 460 V-8 loose from it's engine mounts. The doors wouldn't open, but I crawled out the back window. Built Ford tough for sure.

Back in the early '60s my restoration project was a 1929 Ford Model A Business Coupe.

One of the more 'dumb' things I did in my life was to sell the blame thing when I was in college.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201066111610_29-ModelA-BizCoupe.jpg

71.68 KB

Yeah, back in the 60's, that car was only 35 years old. [:)]

My brother had a '28 two door, original paint faded to primer. He even let me drive it! Once! [:)] Mechanical brakes and a steering wheel the size of a manhole cover.

That pic shows the progression from '29 to 30-31, the later model coupe behind it has the different visor, cowl and front fenders.

"It's not how much you make, it's how much you keep."

Right, and then you got to buy something fun like a classic car or bike.

I do that, of course when you make $28K a year with over time you kind of have to.

The most expensive vehicle I've ever owned cost $3,400. It was an 87 F-350 4x4. Regular cab, long bed, single rear wheel. XLT Lariat with all the bells and whistles. Manual transmission and a slider rear window. It was nice.

Moose are rare around here, very seldom seen. However one night coming up from Deary I clobbered one at 65mph. Truck didn't make it. Ripped the front axle clean off and smashed the front end real good. Even tore the 460 V-8 loose from it's engine mounts. The doors wouldn't open, but I crawled out the back window. Built Ford tough for sure.

I'll bet the moose was pissed off.

I'll bet the moose was pissed off.

Yeah, he wasn't expecting anything bigger than a 390 under the hood. [:)]

It sounds kind of stupid, but I had no idea how much blood was inside a moose. It was all over the road and the truck. Heck there was blood splatter on the tailgate, and I hit the moose with the front of the truck. It was like hitting a garbage bag size water balloon filled with goo encased in a concrete shell.

I'm pretty sure the moose didn't feel anything. Heck I wasn't even sure what happened it was over so fast. Came around the corner, there was a lot of noise, I hit the steering wheel, and then the truck stopped in the oncoming lane. Took me a few minutes to put all the pieces together.

Jesus loves me, that's for sure.

What do you people do for a living? Volvos, Saabs, Corvettes,?

I work my keister off to the tune of 50-55 hours a week, and don't have any children. Volvos aren't THAT expensive, and my girlfriend doesn't much like hauling herself into my truck when she's dressed nicely.

The most recent item on my wish list was a 1936 Ford high boy on a 1945 frame fitted with a dump box. Woulda made a very eye catching inspectormobile. It belonged to my wife's uncle, and when I asked him what he was selling it for he must have gotten the stink eye from her, 'cause he wouldn't give me a price. He just smiled and shook his head.

Ever since I've been looking at vintage speed boats to get even. Any one got a line a Gar Wood Speedster?

Edit: On second thought, I should be looking for a 30 to 40' Matthews. That way I'll have a place to sleep when she throws me out.

Tom

Horses.

Mountain Bike.

Click to Enlarge

28.15 KB

It really does stink too, since she brought home those live crabs about a month ago. [:)]

What's wrong with an Outback? I love mine; hauls all my tools, tows my camper, and doesn't burp every time you pass a gas station. I just got back from a trip to Virginia where I out paced a Mitsubishi Outlander for mileage, and I'm still driving on fuel I bought in WV on the way home Sunday.

Tom

Horses.

Mountain Bike.

Click to Enlarge

28.15 KB

What's wrong with an Outback? I love mine; hauls all my tools, tows my camper, and doesn't burp every time you pass a gas station. I just got back from a trip to Virginia where I out paced a Mitsubishi Outlander for mileage, and I'm still driving on fuel I bought in WV on the way home Sunday.

Tom

Absolutely nothin'

Subaru's are built like tanks and they handle like they're glued to the pavement. Yesterday, I had to pick up three other board members on the way to the board meeting in Olympia. Traffic was a MF on the interstate. The Baha zipped in and out of traffic with ease and was unobtrusive enough that we went most of the way to Olympia at speeds above 80 and didn't attract the attention of any plain janes.

On the way back, I was downshifting hard and powering trough a very tight turn on the exit off the interstate to Seatac when a worried voice from the back said, "Mike, how low is the center of gravity on this thing?" I just dropped it to 3 punched the gas harder and calmly replied, "Very low," and she hugged the curve even harder. When we dropped the guy from Spokane off at the departure door to the terminal, he said, "Thanks Mike, that was the most fun in a car I've had in a long time."

Click to Enlarge
tn_201068112131_Baha2.jpg

68.28 KB

Here's another Baja adventure:

My Afternoon Drive Over the Mountain Loop

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

P.S.

Sorry for the thread drift - I know that a Subaru isn't a "dream" car but these Subarus really don't get the respect they deserve. Less than 500,000 a year are made, so I suppose the manufacturer is considered small time, and they're sometimes referred to as Lesbarus out here. They really are great little cars. Think about it; Toyota bought a 35% stake in Subaru. Toyota might drag their feet when it comes to announcing recalls but nobody can dispute that they have a superior understanding of what it takes to built a reliable machine. If Toyota is investing that much money in Subaru, they've got to be good cars.