Why did they build it like this?

You may have something there, Mike.

I once repointed exterior brickwork and re-worked the fireplaces and chimneys and on an old Baptist church in North Fork, Virginia that a man had purchased and was renovating. I was there pretty early in the process but, his plan was to restore much of the original church area and claim the choir balcony for his residence. Hmmmm...

Kibbel, you crack me up. Durn your hide.

I think it was the same sort of architectural feature as a widow's walk balcony; completely superfluous, but folks imagine that they're necessary for the architectural idea to be complete.

Kinda like gigantic MBR bubble tubs, multi-nozzle turbo showers, big fancy foyers w/palladium windows & a giant chandelier, and unvented gas log fireplaces.

Originally posted by kurt

Kinda like gigantic MBR bubble tubs, multi-nozzle turbo showers, big fancy foyers w/palladium windows & a giant chandelier, and unvented gas log fireplaces.

Yeah, can you imagine a group of HI's 75 years from now, looking at pictures of a long-extinct multi-nozzle turbo shower and guessing what it was for?

De-lousing chamber? Nuclear accident wash-down apparatus? Torture device? Tall, narrow spray paint booth?

Damn silly things. How the heck is a guy supposed to lather up in one of those anyway? There's nowhere to stand out of the spray.

Brian G.

One Good Nozzle Is Enough [^]