Ice Dam Photos

Konrad

Originally posted by a46geo

I have been married so long that I have totally forgotten about such things.

AH, to be 41 again. I can almost remember what it was like on that 650 cc Triumph Bonneville. I am so jealous of you right now, I don't even want to talk to you.

Forgive me George, I forgot myself there. Move down here and I'll teach you the fine art of Southern Social Flirting. I know all of the rules by heart, even though they're unwritten. It keeps you young, reminds you of this kind of thing, lest you forget.

Your marriage won't be a problem because sex has nothing to do with it. I'm only 10 years into mine, but I'm very, very, married...and glad of it. [:-spin]

Brian G.

Stealin' a Little Fun Along the Way [:-jester]

Well, I was going to try and post a pic. I'll come back later when I can get it to 80kb or less. It's no trouble, I'll put it on a pc with xp, modify it, copy it install it here on my coal burner and upload it. You'll all get to see the ice dam photo sometime in May.

Mike Brown technical genius saves the day...

Here's what happens in NY when bath fans are vented through the soffit

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif icedam1.jpg

51.6 KB

Originally posted by hausdok

I don't flirt. I'm married to a Korean. If I get caught flirting with anyone, what happened to that Bobbit fellow will look like a picnic compared to what might happen. I shudder to even contemplate such a fate.[:-shake][:-scared]

Chicken. [:-tong2]

Brian G.

Married a Yankee, Not a Korean [-crzwom]

• 2 years later...
Originally posted by Konrad

For those of you in the south that don't see this kind of thing, this is a pretty good ice dam. There is water getting into the wall cavities. [:-sick]

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DCP_9151.JPG

69.03 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DCP_9153.JPG

59.88 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DCP_9152.JPG

48.78 KB

The way to eliminate ice dams completly is the use of the Corwin Smart Ventilation System. This system can be installed in existing homes by way of the attic. I works! Keeps heat in in the winter and out in the summer. This is a new product and again it works see the attached file. Tom For some reason it won't upload, email me and I will send it to you. tomceejay@aol.com

• 2 years later...

Remeber my post on my ice dams this winter? Well a little follow up... Someone on here recommended putting ice melter in the nyons (pantyhose) and placing on the ice dams... Well this didnt really work, but what it DID do was peel all the paint off my gutters and pretty much shatter my concrete patio under the gutters. A concrete guy came out and said that all the shale in the concrete popped (exploded) because of the salty water that was dripped all over it... Now my patio looks like a sledge hammer was taken to it... I have a 6k insurance claim so I am going to look into this ventilation system you recommended and add better insulation...

Pantyhose are never a good idea...:D

Remeber my post on my ice dams this winter? Well a little follow up... Someone on here recommended putting ice melter in the nyons (pantyhose) and placing on the ice dams... Well this didnt really work, but what it DID do was peel all the paint off my gutters and pretty much shatter my concrete patio under the gutters. A concrete guy came out and said that all the shale in the concrete popped (exploded) because of the salty water that was dripped all over it... Now my patio looks like a sledge hammer was taken to it... I have a 6k insurance claim so I am going to look into this ventilation system you recommended and add better insulation...

That rots, Jodi. Sorry.

What's up with MAFB and Civil Engineering Squadron? New career?

I'm sorry to hear that, Jodi. I wouldn't have guessed that ice-melting pellets would have done that. If I recall correctly, the suggestion came from the Carson-Dunlop Illustrated Home series.

At the risk of sounding mercenary, could you post some pictures of your misfortune? It might be a good idea to send copies to the Carson-Dunlop folks. We could also use the pictures the next time ice dams come up in the conversation.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Ouch. One thing I know.......well proportioned, placed, and finished concrete isn't demolished by salts particularly. Really crappy concrete placements go to blazes almost immediately in the summer after salting.

Not exactly sure why, but that's the way it works. I've got lots of concrete around my house that get's salted consistently; no problems in 2 decades. Also, think about public roads and walks; salt doesn't demolish them in a season.

You probably have yourself some lousy concrete..........that can get problematic and expensive to repair.

Hi,

Hi Jodi,

I'm really sorry that this happened to you but I have to agree with Kurt. Where I grew up a whole lot of salt was used for six months of the year on concrete walks, driveways, patios and steps and we never experienced damage like you've described unless the concrete was a poorly mixed batch.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Jodil, did anyone suggest that you take a good look at your insulation and venting, especially the venting, proper ventilation and insulation usually prevents ice damming.

You may want to visit this site: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article ... 46,00.html

Your concrete problem is not uncommon when you have several freeze / thaw cycles per year, the use of salt, or a poor quality of concrete that ultimately gets poured, not what left the plant, this can be caused by adding too much water, calcium, antifreeze or any assortment of chemicals that the the concrete installer thinks will make his job easier.

Good luck

Tim