Parking Garages - Munich Style

hausdok

Whoops,

I stand corrected. After studying that photo for a while it looks like that rig is fully automated. It goes up, rotates to the applicable bay, sends a left extension out under the auto, picks it up and the retracts it onto the platform and the attendant - apparently down at the bottom, brings it down.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Really cool and efficient use of space.

Can you imagine the wait for your car after a major event and everyone wants their car at the same time. One good thing is that there won't be a traffic jam at the exit.

What happens if there is a mechanical problem with the retrieval equipment? "Sorry I am late, there was a power failure and my car was stuck on the seventh floor."

They're brand new cars awaiting delivery. There are two of those 20 story towers at Volkswagen's Autostadt facility in Wolfsburg, Germany. Autostadt is a sort of a combination car factory/theme park. From the web site:

Your new car is waiting!

Anyone considering buying a new car usually does a lot of careful research before coming to the realization: this is it! At Autostadt, we think the moment in which you receive your new car should be just as special. And this is exactly what we offer. At Autostadt, collecting your new car is an event in itself. The best idea is to begin that special day with a relaxing trip to Autostadt followed by a tour until the big moment arrives: In a fully automated procedure, your new car is brought down to you from one of the 20-story Car Towers. Large signboards in the Customer Center show you when your turn has come. Then, you're handed the keys, your picture is taken, the glass doors open and your brand-new car appears. You're all set to go.

You can see the exteriors on the home page:

http://www.autostadt.de/info/cda/main/0,3606,2~1,00.html

"Jetzt verstehe Ich! Warum hat Ich nicht an Volkswagen gedenkt? Ich habe wricklich eine taube Nuss!"

It just seems odd that the person that wrote that has a surname of O'Handley.

Since my name came from Germany and I live in an area dominated by the descendants of German settlers, I'll try the translation.

"Now I understand! Why didn't I think of Volkswagen? I have (something) a pigeon nut!"

Okay, it's been 3 decades since I've tried to read German and I never could speak or write it.

Originally posted by Inspectorjoe

They're brand new cars awaiting delivery. There are two of those 20 story towers at Volkswagen's Autostadt facility in Wolfsburg, Germany. Autostadt is a sort of a combination car factory/theme park. From the web site:

Your new car is waiting!

Anyone considering buying a new car usually does a lot of careful research before coming to the realization: this is it! At Autostadt, we think the moment in which you receive your new car should be just as special. And this is exactly what we offer. At Autostadt, collecting your new car is an event in itself. The best idea is to begin that special day with a relaxing trip to Autostadt followed by a tour until the big moment arrives: In a fully automated procedure, your new car is brought down to you from one of the 20-story Car Towers. Large signboards in the Customer Center show you when your turn has come. Then, you're handed the keys, your picture is taken, the glass doors open and your brand-new car appears. You're all set to go.

You can see the exteriors on the home page:

http://www.autostadt.de/info/cda/main/0,3606,2~1,00.html

That makes more sense. I was wondering why everyone seemed to be driving the same type of car. Duh.

Pretty good Bill!

You got everything Everything except the idiomatic phrase. The expression is "Er hat eine taube Nuss." Literally, he's got a pidgeon's head," or in English, "He's dead from the shoulder's up," or He's an idiot. "Ich habe wricklich eine taube Nuss," translates, "I'm such an idiot!"

Nothing wrong with a little self deprecation of it'll liven things up a little bit around here.

I learned German in 1983 at the Presidio of Monterey and then spent the next 3 years in Norddeutschland as a Juvenile Investigator and Krippo (Kriminal Politzei) liaison.

Almost never get to use it though. Getting pretty rusty!

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Gosh, I took three years of High School German myself. It was a requirement to enter Lutheran Seminary. I'm only catching tiny bits of these conversations. I'm way beyond rusty. There's simply no opportunity to ever use it.

But, I'll never forget my teacher, Frau Harrison, and her favorite phrase that plagued us all:

"Noch ein mall?"