Qualifications

This is a two part question.

I feel that I am qualified to begin but I know that I am weak in some areas. I have a bachelors degree in Conctruction Managment and Building Technology, I am a licenced builder and have been both a project engineer and project manager. I have also owned my own construction company. Saying this I feel that I very good knowledge of all phases of construction,however I feel weak in the mechanical areas (plumbing, hvac, and electrical) can anyone suggest some good sources to gain strength in these areas.

Part Two.

Now that you all know my resume I feel that I am approaching this knowing that I still need to gain Knowledge of the mechanical side of the inspections as well as the overall business aspect. One thing I have noticed is the weedend warriors who do this for a supplemental income who may not be the most qualified and have a lower pricing structure, how does this effect this industry and what are your opinions? I dont want anyone to think im against making an extra buck its the American way, im just curious as to how this is viewed from within the industry.

Thank you,

Tony

Tony,

Have you had any formal home inspector training?

Your past experience will help in some regards, but as you know the building trades don't always build or install things the way that they should be. As home inspectors we need to understand and know the proper way things are to be installed or built. We also need to be able recognize defects and it takes training and experience to recognize this.

I look back at the first fifty, one hundred, two hundred inspections I did and I shutter to think what I did no know and what I have learned. Every inspection is a learning experience.

As for low priced inspections; the inspector knows what he/she is worth! You have low ballers in every profession. Unfortunately they impact the consumer more than our profession.

Bottom feeders in this field are viewed in exactly the same way as bottom feeders in every other field. Actually, we are a very competitive breed and each of us thinks he (or she) is precisely 3X smarter than every other inspector in the area.

The exception is here at O'Handley's, where everyone is unusually and equally brilliant and friendly. This is not indicative of the real HI world.

Jim

Anthony,

As you may have already guessed, I don't speak for he majority here. Although this forum is chock full of very knowledgeable, extremely nice and helpful people, I am just a little smarter and a little ahead of the rest. Just ask Mike, now that I made him a rich man, I am one of a kind.

Well anyway, I just flat out ignore my competition. It is like they don't even exist, except of course for their friendship. Do what you do to the best of your ability. Learn as you go because believe me, that never stops. Be honest, don't worry one bit about being a "deal killer" and you will do just fine.

I have a guy riding with me now, As soon as he takes a day off, I'll call you. It might not be but a two or three days notice. If that doesn't work, I'll fire him. (He is looking over my shoulder)

George

Tony,

My background is similar to yours. I went to a great home inspection training program, but still felt weak in the heating area. I found a local heating contractor and asked if I could follow one of his best heating/cooling techs around for a few days. When I told him I wanted to learn more about heating and cooling to be a better home inspector he said ok. The tech he assigned me to was a crusty old guy who was not thrilled to have someone looking over his shoulder, but I bought coffee and rolls the first day and then carried all his tools. I learned more from him than all the other inspection training I have done. I still call him once in a while if I see something I'm not sure of.

Good luck!

Tony,

It is obvious by your posts that you are humble enough to know your own limitations, and in this overly litigeous field that is a good trait.

I don't know where Waterford is, but if it is near enough to me you are welcome to join me Saturday at 2:00 PM for a ride-along. You can get my contact info from my website. I am about 40 miles SW of Toledo.

Originally posted by rosreservv

Tony,

It is obvious by your posts that you are humble enough to know your own limitations, and in this overly litigeous field that is a good trait.

I don't know where Waterford is, but if it is near enough to me you are welcome to join me Saturday at 2:00 PM for a ride-along. You can get my contact info from my website. I am about 40 miles SW of Toledo.

Bob:

Bravo!

Yes, Bravo.

That is what TIJ is all about. Professionals sharing information with one another and helping to educate one another, regardless of affiliation or time in the business.

Do that enough and do it well and eventually the entire profession becomes more informed, more educated, more aware that the profession as a whole is underpaid and underappreciated and eventually we all learn to raise the bar together.

I've been sayin' it for years, but lots of folks still don't get it when I sign off with....

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike