DWV fittings ID

Jim Baird

Friends,

Having trouble telling sanitary tee from quarter bend with low inlet.

See pics below.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif MVC-336S.JPG

36.82 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif MVC-329S.JPG

46.37 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif MVC-308S.JPG

29.41 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif MVC-314S.JPG

31.35 KB

The first two are vertical connects from WC's.

The second two are horizontal.

All look to me to lack enough sweep.

Are they bends or tees?

Originally posted by AHIS

Okay I'll play the sap, because I'm sure there is someone else out there who wants to ask too...

Can you elaborate on what is improper?

Thanks

The fittings featured in Jim Baird's photos are called sanitary tees. They're supposed to be used to connect a horizontal drain line to a vertical stack. As far as I know, that's their only proper use.

If you've got a horizontal drain line that joins another horizontal drain line or if you have a vertical drain line that lets into a horizontal drain line, you're supposed to use either a wye (45 degrees) or a combo wye (45 degrees + 1/8 bend).

A sanitary tee on its back is never correct but it's really easy to overlook, as Jim's pictures show.

Personally, I'm sure I've missed more of these than I've caught.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

What's embarrasing about this discovery is that it's a return visit. Following up because, among other things, a jet tub leaked at the tailpiece when I began to fill it to run the motor. Also found it to have no support. On return, it was shimmed for support, was able to fill, and when emptying, I went to basement level to check for leaks while draining forty gallons. I found two leaks in drain assembly, was photographing one when it hit me, tee on its side. It was like the tip of iceberg, they were everywhere. First report mentioned DWV sizing, support, and venting, but did not mention fittings(mea culpa). To meet code this new work will need complete rebuild of the main, horizontal drain. Will recommend they use a differnet plumber.