Tree roots

Check with the local bylaws.

These days, in a suburb, you don't just walk up to your tree and cut it down.

John, is that a Canadian thing?

I think it is a town thing everywhere?

People share the surrounding air so by twisted logic maybe, they share the benefits from your trees. They will suffer a loss if you cut 'em. We can't have them suffering, can we? [:-magnify [:)]

Check with the local bylaws.

These days, in a suburb, you don't just walk up to your tree and cut it down.

John, is that a Canadian thing?

I think it is a town thing everywhere?

People share the surrounding air so by twisted logic maybe, they share the benefits from your trees. They will suffer a loss if you cut 'em. We can't have them suffering, can we? [:-magnify [:)]

A few of the hoity-toity towns up north of Chicago enacted such tree-cutting ordinances (after Mr. T bought a house, in Lake Forest I believe, and leveled the land; they called it the ChainSaw Massacre), but that's not the norm around here. You got a tree on your property, and want to cause suffering, not a problem. Cut 'er down. . .

People share the surrounding air so by twisted logic maybe, they share the benefits from your trees.

Actually, if I remember my real estate days correctly, you own the air space above your property. Such gives you the right to trim the limbs on a neighbor's tree that over-hang your property. (Though, as you posit, that can piss-off a neighbor; Miss Manners says to ask first.)

People share the surrounding air so by twisted logic maybe, they share the benefits from your trees.

Actually, if I remember my real estate days correctly, you own the air space above your property. Such gives you the right to trim the limbs on a neighbor's tree that over-hang your property. (Though, as you posit, that can piss-off a neighbor; Miss Manners says to ask first.)

That's good to remember, but it extends how high? Surely not into air space as in flight space. Drone air space?

The trees improve the air quality. That was the benefit I was referring to, shade, fresh air, buffers and so on.

I have lived amongst trees for ever, and the worst needles came from old growth Sitka Spruce. Long and sharp like asbestos fibers, they stuck to your shoes, carpets, eavestroughs, the wife's sunroof drains (a $400 fix by the Subaru pros. "The wheel-well liners have to come out".)

I chopped and sawed massive Spruce roots to get to the old perimeter drain pipes. There was a 30 ' line to the road that was plugged solid with roots and clay. That is the damage from trees too close.

New house, no needles, no leaves, tiny strip of grass, I'm in heaven. [:)]