Testing 240 V outlets

chrisprickett

That, my friend, is clarity. I wish more home inspector's had the common sense that Chad the "beginner" has.

This biz is full of silly ideas like "Wiggy's are bulky & imprecise", or some such crap. Why? Because folks w/lots of technical know how can extemporize & improvise all manner of silly theories w/not much to contradict them.

Why would one want to wander around w/a multimeter, fiddling w/knobs & dials to check something that is simpler than simple? Because home inspectors have created a folklore culture that says complicated is smart.

Turn on the dryer & stove to see if the 220v circuits are actually 220v? Of course. Use a cheap easily handled tool w/a binary decision making process? Absolutely.

Being a curious kind of guy, I like to learn and try to get a basic understanding of how testing equipment works so that I can be aware of its potential advantages and limitations when using it in the field. This thread prompted me to do a little research on the wiggy, and I came across this interesting article on wiggys and non-contact voltage testers.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_n9458300

Lots of you guys probably know this, but in the interest of safety it is worth repeating. These tools are useful in that they give simple on/off signals and can provide "ballpark" measurements of voltage. However, while "on" does mean on, "off" does not mean that the conductor does not carry potentially lethal current (waiting for the right circumstances to bite you).

Brandon

Dang Kurt,

Are we on a tear?

Chris asked a question (in search of knowledge/understanding) and received a number of replies. Mine was simply another not criticism of anyone’s test method. I meant to offend no one but only to inject some humor.

“digital and analog meters are essentially too good for what we do and can produce data that while accurate is basically untrue due to the miniscule current the devices draw from a circuit.â€

Originally posted by kurt

That, my friend, is clarity. I wish more home inspector's had the common sense that Chad the "beginner" has.

This biz is full of silly ideas like "Wiggy's are bulky & imprecise", or some such crap. Why? Because folks w/lots of technical know how can extemporize & improvise all manner of silly theories w/not much to contradict them.

Well, aren't we grumpy today. You needn't take offense at a simple statement of fact.

Why would one want to wander around w/a multimeter, fiddling w/knobs & dials to check something that is simpler than simple? Because home inspectors have created a folklore culture that says complicated is smart.

Or perhaps one works in an area that has a lot of electric furnaces that simply cannot be adequately inspected without using a multi-meter with a clamp-on ammeter. And once that necessary instrument is in one's bag, it would be silly to also carry around a (comparatively) bulky and imprecise Wiggy.

Turn on the dryer & stove to see if the 220v circuits are actually 220v? Of course. Use a cheap easily handled tool w/a binary decision making process? Absolutely.

I heartily agree and I'll add that epitome of a cheap, easily handled tool with a binary decision making process is a neon tester -- it costs $2.98, it never fails, and it weighs about as much as a Bic pen.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Grumpy? GRUMPY!!??

I don't take offense; I ladle it out. There's nothing quite so fine as pulling the leg of home inspector's & waiting to see what happens.

In this case, we've moved from "bulky & imprecise" to "compact & imprecise", as in, neon testers being quite excellent. Jim, I knew I could get you to agree w/me. [:-eyebrow

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Or perhaps one works in an area that has a lot of electric furnaces that simply cannot be adequately inspected without using a multi-meter with a clamp-on ammeter. And once that necessary instrument is in one's bag, it would be silly to also carry around a (comparatively) bulky and imprecise Wiggy.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Well maybe this will start another thread over on HVAC but how far does one go when inspecting an electric furnace during a normal home inspection? I just do a visual on electric furnaces (burned, charred wiring, disconnected terminals, etc.). No multi-meter or ammeters involved.

Originally posted by randynavarro

Originally posted by Jim Katen

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Well maybe this will start another thread over on HVAC but how far does one go when inspecting an electric furnace during a normal home inspection? I just do a visual on electric furnaces (burned, charred wiring, disconnected terminals, etc.). No multi-meter or ammeters involved.

You don't *have to* measure the current on the coils but, once you're in there anyway to look for burnt wires, etc, it's such a simple thing to do that I don't see any reason not to.

It takes, literally, seconds to check that the coils have all energized.

It's not a big deal, but you might find a burnt coil or two that could cost a couple of hundred dollars to fix. I figure that the hassle-to-benefit ratio is high enough to bother.

Of course, if all I had was a WIGGY, I wouldn't even have the choice.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

If all I had was a toothpick, I couldn't build a house.

Then again, toothpicks are excellent for their intended purpose. Kinda like Wiggy's.

If one is inspecting an electric furnace, I think it's a very good idea to use tools that are intended for that purpose.