When is enough, enough?

George,

I was at step eleven of a twelve step program.

The org was founded in 1990 like Dianna said. It was ten people or less until 1998.

Their Membership is over 9,000 if you count everyone that was ever a member, Snow White and at least Grumpy, Sneezy and Dopey.

All the rest of the crap about certification requirements and all that is the same bull crap over and over.

I'm not surprised to find they're affiliated with ReMax as that's Nick's old stomping ground.

I haven't mentioned the name of any org, or anyone's last name

Looking past the "stretching of the truth" [;)] issues I was concerned about some of the answers to the questions and how they reflect on the HI profession as a whole.

In response to the question "What are the benefits of having a home inspector go through (a home you are buying)?", the real estate agent responds by talking about blown window seals and whether appliances are working, which in my mind are relatively low cost and comfort and convenience issues when someone is spending a few hundred thousand dollars or more on a home. A much better answer would have focused on life safety, fire safety, structural integrity, or issues with a significant cost to cure. For instance, a person could live with a fogged double-pane window, but how long could they live with a second floor walkout deck that is attached to the house with deck screws? I can't guess her intent, but I see the response by the real estate agent as having the effect of minimizing the significance of a home inspection.

The NACHI person is asked a similar question: "What have you heard, when they don't have a proper inspection done, what can people miss?" Her reply is "Black mold. Things that you cannot see that can really make you and your family sick .... you can't see it, you can't touch it ...." I think this is a better answer than the one given by the RE agent in the sense that she is drawing attention to a more significant issue. However, identifying black mold is outside the scope of a typical home inspection, and the standards of practice of most major home inspection organizations clearly drive home the point that a home inspection is a visual inspection of the readily accessable areas of the home. The response creates inaccurate or unrealistic expectations for consumers about what a home inspection entails, something that I think a spokesperson for a national organization which claims to have "almost 9000" members should not be doing. By creating inaccurate or unrealistic expectations in the minds of consumers, the comments are creating an increased liability on the backs of all home inspectors, regardless of the organization to which they belong.

Brandon

Branden,

I agree completely. This organization, left unchecked, will eventually kill us all. The fact that these airheads were retained by Nick to speak for his organization with such misrepresentation, and there was not a mass exodus from the group, speaks volumes about their collective mentality. Now should we apply this same inability to reason to their ability to inspect? Someone Please explain to me why this should not be a concern.

Terence,

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Dear Abby, Not ever being a member of any orgnization, I probably shouldnt respond to this, BUT, ASHI seems really threatened by NACHI. Why is this? I get e-mail from NACHI, not sure why, and it seems like they are pretty on the ball with free online courses by reputable people like Doug Hanson, etc. I know the online test is a joke, but really, so is ASHI's membership requirements. Pass the NHIE? We have to do that for state cert. So is this "Nick" just the devil or what?? Not sure what all the fuss is about. Will I be looked down on by my peers if I join this org? Signed, confused.

Dear Abby, Not ever being a member of any orgnization, I probably shouldnt respond to this, BUT, ASHI seems really threatened by NACHI. Why is this? I get e-mail from NACHI, not sure why, and it seems like they are pretty on the ball with free online courses by reputable people like Doug Hanson, etc. I know the online test is a joke, but really, so is ASHI's membership requirements. Pass the NHIE? We have to do that for state cert. So is this "Nick" just the devil or what?? Not sure what all the fuss is about. Will I be looked down on by my peers if I join this org? Signed, confused.

Well, you know the last time I spoke with Nick I did notice a slight odor of sulphur. Nah, it was most likely the Nachos.

ASHI is not threatened by Nicks club, but NACHI is apparently threatened by ASHI. At any given time on the NACHI board you will see 2-4 threads that are dealing with ASHI. Most of the time they are focused on how ASHI members are dominating a particular market; ASHI members are always being recommended in national news articles; and the diatribe goes on and on. I can guarantee you that NACHI is not a point of focus on the ASHI discussion board.

Everyone just needs to realize that most new inspectors join one organization because it is easy to get an instant title. With the other home inspector organizations you have to work for it and prove that you have some knowledge of home inspections and report writing.

ASHI is not in a race to have the largest number of folks who call themselves home inspectors. ASHI just wants to be the source of folks who have proven that they have the knowledge and experience to perform a basic home inspection. ASHI has proven time and time again that they are the leader of the profession and that they are also the voice of the profession. HUD/FHA and the EPA have all come to ASHI for assistance with various consumer publications, I don't think that they have called Nick for any help.

Part of the success of ASHI is in it's vast network of chapters around the country. Yes, some chapters are not all that active but the majority are very active and offer great educational programs many times a year. In comparison the NACHI chapters that I'm aware of have one or two meetings and then that is it. A good example is the NACHI chapter in my are, they had one meeting in February 2006 and that is it. They have not even updated their website since then. Then on the opposite end you have the NACHI Chicago chapter with Will Decker at the helm and it is a success from what I understand.

Bottom line is that you need to find a local chapter that works for you. One that you can participate in, help others and learn. This is how a national organization can help you.

Good answer!

Chad and Erby, I think I was mistaken about Doug, I thought I saw his name on a course on the website but can't find it.

I have to say, I really dislike their slogan "Resistance is Futile".

EDIT:

What I saw was not Doug but Mike Holt's name

"Special thanks to NACHI member Mike Rowan of Inspection Depot, NACHI member Mike Holt of MikeHolt.com , contributors to NACHI's Web Gallery, and other NACHI members for use of their images and illustrations."