Wood Fireplace Question

This is just a guess, because I don't remember anyone explaining this to me, but in my mind the building science works.

Woodburning stoves, fireplaces and appliances need a larger flue than gas-burning stoves, fireplaces and appliances. When the wood burning object isn't actually burning any wood, I should think that cold air trying to dive down that big flue could overcome the bouyancy of gas exhaust, because it's at such a low temperature, and cause the gas appliance to backdraft into the home through the woodburning appliance.

Any 'sperts out there know if I'm even close?

I gotta go. If nobody's answered with a better reason by the time I get back, I'll look it up.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

This is just a guess, because I don't remember anyone explaining this to me, but in my mind the building science works.

Woodburning stoves, fireplaces and appliances need a larger flue than gas-burning stoves, fireplaces and appliances. When the wood burning object isn't actually burning any wood, I should think that cold air trying to dive down that big flue could overcome the bouyancy of gas exhaust, because it's at such a low temperature, and cause the gas appliance to backdraft into the home through the woodburning appliance. . .

That's all true. But in Terry's case, a set of gas logs in a fireplace designed for wood logs is going to be operating under those conditions anyway.

I think the rationale for the rule is that wood-burning appliances create creosote and soot that can build up and narrow the flue or block it entirely.

- Jim Katen, Oregon