Found sand in attic...???

Haubeil

Was sand EVER used as insulation?!

I have an upcoming inspection and my client has forwarded a question in advance: "In the attic there is what looks like sand as insulation? I will attach a picture I didnt know sand was used for that but if you check if you dont know."

Anyone know why sand would be in an attic...in Ohio!? [;)]

Thanks,

Haubeil

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Sand insulation.JPG

72.22 KB

Mike, I've found gypsum in a few attics and in one attic, the actual bags were still present. It was sold as 'insulation' for a short period. Said so on the bag... Circa 1920's.. Sand would act as an insulator. Think 'a day on the beach, covered with sand..". You pile sand over your feet to keep them cool.. Too heavy though. Great attic cat box..

Ground clay was sold as insulation in the 20's and 30's. Looked like cat litter. "Oil dry" was also used in the lower michigan upper ohio areas. Zonolite was also sold in a finer grade of gypsum and vermiculite. Both were in the midwest.

Sand was used for insulation also, but always washed sharp sand which kinda' defeated the purpose.

Sawdust and sand mixture was also common for wood frame walls, but not much for attic spaces.