Cities Experiment With Mandatory Inspections

hausdok

Recently, across the U.S., in an effort to improve neighborhoods and ensure that even the poorest home buyer isn't saddled with an unsafe or unlivable home, some municipalities have begun experimenting with the idea of requiring all sellers or landlords to have their properties inspected prior to resale or re-rental.

Here are articles about two such programs. One which hasn't gotten off the ground, because it's encountering resistance from special interest groups, and another that was implemented but is now suspended because the municipality couldn't keep up with demand for inspections.

I will be teaching 5 classes over the next year for a very large City. I am teaching about what a home inspection is, why you need it,what does it cover, and what to look for in an inspector.

They are re-locating several families and want the staff and the families to take the class. The City is paying for the inspection of the home before they move in, but the home owner still gets to pick the inspector and decide how to address any issues that may arise.

So I guess I could say this is a different form of requiring an inspection.

The town I lived in for the past ten years, Ridgeland Mississippi attempted to do this exact same thing. A couple of councilmen who lived in areas of town that were "Changing", attempted to do it. Everyone associated with the real estate profession and a good majority of the residents were against it. The councilmen that were for the mandatory inspection were not reelected. I was involved in the defeat of this proposal from the start. it took about a year to quash it.

The city would have been required to hire 3-4 inspectors just to do these inspections. Everything from tall grass, dead shrubs, painting, roofing, and just the general appearance fell under these inspections.

Another part of this mandatory inspection would be that anything that was found to be defective would have had to been repaired before a new CO (water and power cut off after 30 days if repairs are not made)would be issued. It was fraught with all types of issues that were in the unconstitutional area.

I work closely with serveral agencies in the Miami area for first time home buyers. I speak at their classes about the inspection process, what to expect, etc. Most of these programs require that the homes be insepected. There are too many hazards out there - requiring a home inspection is a necessity - I dont care if the city does their own or it goes to the private sector. Obviously I like the private sector, because this is how I make my living [:-graduat

Several Cities around Cleveland, Ohio have POS (Point of Sale) Inspection that are required before the house can be sold. Most Muni Inspectors are looking at broken sidewalks and windows, peeling paint, the sort of thing that will bring down a neighborhood. The Sellers pay the city for this service and must make repairs before the house goes to closing.

Most buyers know of the limitations.

Ezra Malernee

Canton, OH

Originally posted by emalernee

Several Cities around Cleveland, Ohio have POS (Point of Sale) Inspection that are required before the house can be sold. Most Muni Inspectors are looking at broken sidewalks and windows, peeling paint, the sort of thing that will bring down a neighborhood. The Sellers pay the city for this service and must make repairs before the house goes to closing.

Most buyers know of the limitations.

Ezra Malernee

Canton, OH

They really call them "POS Inspections"?

How appropriate.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Lotta suburbs around Chicago require them; it's like Ezra said, it's about exterior condition primarily, w/a small focus on smoke detectors, GFCI's, & similar safety issues.

And, they're essentially worthless; I love coming in after the muni guy's "POS" inspection & finding lots of stuff they never mentioned.