Wrinkles in rolled roofing

Buzzbee

I did an inspection on a house that has rolled roofing and roof covering is wrinkled. The seller said that he talked to the contractor that installed the roofing and he said that is normal. I don't think so but would like some of your expert opinions. The wrinkles have about a half inch bubble.

Originally posted by Buzzbee

I did an inspection on a house that has rolled roofing and roof covering is wrinkled. The seller said that he talked to the contractor that installed the roofing and he said that is normal. I don't think so but would like some of your expert opinions. The wrinkles have about a half inch bubble.

If you're talking about regular old mineral-surfaced composition roll roofing, the wrinkles are normal. But no one should be using this as a primary cover over a house. This is the stuff that you use over a wood shed -- one where you don't care whether or not the wood stays dry. It's simply not an appropriate material to use over a dwelling.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by kurt

I don't think any mfg. approves this stuff for primary roofing. Isn't the mfg. intended use as an underlayment @ eaves, valley liner, & suchlike?

No, they include instructions for installing it as the primary roof cover. It's even included in the NRCA manual.

It's just a crappy product, that's all. Bottom of the barrel stuff. Most people wouldn't put it on a dog house.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Hi,

If it is mineral-surfaced asphalt roofing, I agree. It gets installed on garages and little add-on porch roofs around here and they're lucky if they can get 10 years out of it.

However, it's possible that it's a granule-coated modbit roof. Buzzbee, did you see any fasteners or gooped-up fasteners at overlaps, or were the seams all bonded together with mastic without any visible fasteners?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Originally posted by Buzzbee

If you're talking about regular old mineral-surfaced composition roll roofing, the wrinkles are normal. But no one should be using this as a primary cover over a house. This is the stuff that you use over a wood shed -- one where you don't care whether or not the wood stays dry. It's simply not an appropriate material to use over a dwelling.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I should have clarified that this is over the patio. Yes it is 90 pound composition rolled roofing. I am recommending that they monitor and replace the covering when (not if) they see cracks or loose seams.

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi,

If it is mineral-surfaced asphalt roofing, I agree. It gets installed on garages and little add-on porch roofs around here and they're lucky if they can get 10 years out of it.

However, it's possible that it's a granule-coated modbit roof. Buzzbee, did you see any fasteners or gooped-up fasteners at overlaps, or were the seams all bonded together with mastic without any visible fasteners?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

No fasteners at overlaps, just bonded seams. I do see this occasionally on homes but mostly on sheds or garages with low pitched roofs.

Buzz