HELP, Gas Furnace BLOWER MOTOR wont stop running

SirRazz197

......before I start,

I want to let EVERYONE know that I have been reading threads, post and replies for a few days.

this seems to be one of the best forums I ever came across.

though my problem is my furnace, It has been interesting reading other subjects and reading the replies.

GREAT JOB TO ALL!!

here is my problem: my York Diamond 60 "BLOWER MOTOR wont stop running".

I live in Plainfield,IL. the weather has gotten COLD. I have had to turn on the furnace for the first time.

I can set the Thermostat to any temperature 65, 70 or 75 degrees and have the same problem.

the PROBLEM is the blower motor will not shut off at all,

once its has reached the desired temperature which it was set at,the furnace shuts off

BUT the BLOWER MOTOR will keep running

until I go down to the basement and MANUALLY shut of the power to the furnace.

I played with the connections one day and it seem to have stop the problem for one day,

now I'm back to the same problem, HELP please.

.......any and all replies would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I thank everyone in advance.

Razz197

Originally posted by SirRazz197

......before I start,

I want to let EVERYONE know that I have been reading threads, post and replies for a few days.

this seems to be one of the best forums I ever came across.

though my problem is my furnace, It has been interesting reading other subjects and reading the replies.

GREAT JOB TO ALL!!

here is my problem: my York Diamond 60 "BLOWER MOTOR wont stop running".

I live in Plainfield,IL. the weather has gotten COLD. I have had to turn on the furnace for the first time.

I can set the Thermostat to any temperature 65, 70 or 75 degrees and have the same problem.

the PROBLEM is the blower motor will not shut off at all,

once its has reached the desired temperature which it was set at,the furnace shuts off

BUT the BLOWER MOTOR will keep running

until I go down to the basement and MANUALLY shut of the power to the furnace.

I played with the connections one day and it seem to have stop the problem for one day,

now I'm back to the same problem, HELP please.

.......any and all replies would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I thank everyone in advance.

Razz197

First things first. At your thermostat, is the "fan" switch set to "auto" or "on"?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

First things first. At your thermostat, is the "fan" switch set to "auto" or "on"?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I have an Analog Thermostat (see attachment), it is set on auto.

once again, when the desired temperature is reach I hear the furnace shut off,

I know the BLOWER MOTOR is suppose to stay ON a few minutes after the furnace shuts down,

BUT my BLOWER MOTOR will NOT shut down, I leave it alone hoping it will shut down

but 15, 25, 40 minutes later the BLOWER MOTOR is still ON and just blowing air (NO heat)

that's when I go down stair and have to manually shut power down, wait a second and turn the power back on.

the blower motor will stay off.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 1 Analog Thermostat.jpeg

9.05 KB

Older furnaces had a bi-metal combination fan-hi limit switch. As the furnace would heat up the bi-metal would twist and thereby making a set of contacts to turn on the furnace blower at 150 degrees and to shut of the gas valve if the bonnet temperature exceeded 200 degrees. When the gas valve shut off the bi-metal would unwind and shut off the blower at 100 degrees. The newer furnaces are controlled by solid state time delays. If yours has circuit boards one of them will need replacement.

• 2 years later...
Originally posted by Paul9099

I have same problem. How did you fix? Do you know where the bi-metal combination fan-hi limit switch is located on the furnace?

It looks like the attached picture.

They are located on the front of the furnace above the burners.

There are three tabs and the settings should be 100F, 150F, and 200F. You can go here to read more about them.

This is what they look like.

honeywellfanlimit.jpg