What's your opinion?

Jim Morrison

TIJ Inspectors are the smartest and best looking inspectors around. It’s unscientific and unverifiable, but that’s what I think. So where else would I go when I have a question?

Tomorrow, I’m scheduled to inspect a Colonial which used to be a Cape. My client tells me that the old Cape roof and shingles are clearly visible from the attic. I’m sure most of you have seen this type of setup before.

A few months ago, I was speaking with some other inspectors about this sort of thing and one of them stated emphatically that the asphalt shingles must be removed immediately because if there were ever a fire in the house, the shingles would turn into napalm. I thought about it some and forgot about it, but now I’d like to know what you guys think of it.

Common sense tells me that some shingles can’t be more dangerous than the dozens of plastic Rubbermaid storage bins I see in a lot of attics, or even a gas-fired furnace. I mean, a house on fire is a dangerous place to be for a lot of reasons and by the time flames are in the attic, you’re either outside, or on your way to the morgue.

Does anyone else recommend removing the shingles in this kind of situation?

My house is 160 years old and the wood is so dry that I bring out fire extinguishers when my wife lights candles for dinner. You could set the damn thing ablaze with a heated argument. You're right, by the time the fire gets through the roof, you're either out or dead. That's my opinion anyway and I'm stickin to it.

Hi,

I've got to leave for a job in a minute, so I'll be uncharacteristically brief.

I don't know much about the topic of ignitability (if that's even a word - probably should have said flammability), but I have seen a fair number of fires in my time on this rock. It seems to me that I've never seen an asphalt shingle roof fully involved in flame. They seem to smoke a great deal, but I've never seen one truly ablaze. Most asphalt shingles have a Class A fire rating and are preferred over other roofing materials by insurance companies. No?

There is probably something about this on the NFPA site. Not sure what the URL is off the top of my head. I suggest trying http://www.nfpa.org and doing a search.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

TIJ Inspectors are the smartest and best looking inspectors around. It’s unscientific and unverifiable, but that’s what I think. So where else would I go when I have a question?

A few months ago, I was speaking with some other inspectors about this sort of thing and one of them stated emphatically that the asphalt shingles must be removed immediately because if there were ever a fire in the house, the shingles would turn into napalm.

First I must commend you on your astute observations. Quite right, of course.

The napalm thoery reeks of "urban inspection legend". Somebody's Uncle Bill heard it from their cousin Bob who's best freind once worked for a guy in Topeka that was there when his sister recounted the exact words of an old aquaintance who knew a Vietnam vet turned home inspector. So it must be true. [:D]

Brian G.

Don't Cha' Just Love Those Tales? [:-crazy]

I'm w/ the Urban Legend theory & the timing theory, i.e., if the hidden attic shingles are dropping "napalm" on you, laugh & shake it off because you're already dead.

How about the omni-present polyvinylchloride pipe in a house; burn that crap & you got poison gas permeating the habitable space. How about the polyester leisure suit in the closet? Carpet? Formica?

I like Chads' approach. I keep ABC class fire extinguishers @ each level of the house, in addition to smoke detectors @ every level, every stairwell, every sleeping area, & in my bsmt. mechanical room. (Curiously, I still don't have a carbon monoxide monitor although I recommend them to my clients all the time.) There is absolutely no reason that anyone has to suffer death by fire in modern America; the technology is readily available to protect us well before anything gets out of control, it is cheap, & it is easy.

Sometimes I wonder about miser Pricket.

I have attached some quotes from his recent postings. Think about them for a second and then ask yourself, Would I let this person marry my daughter, or son if he was in S.F.

"I smoked asphalt shingles for 20 years. and it never hurt me (cough)"

"I do two a day, every day. I sometimes work Saturdays, and on about once a month, I'll have to pull at three-a-dayer."

"I agree that you can't consistantly do more than two a day with a drop off in quality or a severe case of burnout."

We'd do a "gender-blender" (coed) squad, just so they could compete. I must admit, they always had the best pot!

The ol' "wet finger and paperclip" method is gonna get ya sooner or later

I think he may need help[:D] Is there a Dr. in the house?

Scott, I think it's painfully obvious what the problem is.

As I understand it, Mr. Prickett is a transplant to the desert South West. Apparently no one warned him not to eat, smoke or otherwise digest the peyote buttons![:-bigeyes2] [:-drool] [:-drunk]

Just wait until he shows up at an inspection thinking he's a big chicken.[:-jump2] [:-shake]

Donald

Peyote, it's not just for breakfast anymore...

Originally posted by Donald Lawson

Scott, I think it's painfully obvious what the problem is.

As I understand it, Mr. Prickett is a transplant to the desert South West. Apparently no one warned him not to eat, smoke or otherwise digest the peyote buttons![:-bigeyes2] [:-drool] [:-drunk]

Just wait until he shows up at an inspection thinking he's a big chicken.[:-jump2] [:-shake]

Donald

Peyote, it's not just for breakfast anymore...

Peyote is soooooooo 80's! These days we lick the skin of the Pink Desert Gecko.[:-drunk]

Geckos, they're not just for car insurance anymore...

Since you're into licking lizards, I'd guess I'll be the one to warn you about Gila Monster spit.

I heard a news story a few months back that the spit from a Gila Monster is suppose to have hallucinogenic qualities. [:-spin]

How you go about getting the spit, is beyond me [:-?help]

I swear, there must be some guy walking around the desert eating, licking and smoking every plant and animal out there to see if he can get a buzz from it.

Donald