Disconnect for Electric WH

fqp25

Inspected a electric water heater today with no service disconnect in sight of appliance. This seemed kind of odd; checked the installation manual, and it had no mention of a service disconnect.

What I did find in the NEC (422.31) was an appliance not rated over 300V or 1/8 hp, the current overload device can serve as a disconnect.

Does anybody know any better? I have always seen a service disconnect right by the appliance.

Originally posted by fqp25

Inspected a electric water heater today with no service disconnect in sight of appliance. This seemed kind of odd; checked the installation manual, and it had no mention of a service disconnect.

What I did find in the NEC (422.31) was an appliance not rated over 300V or 1/8 hp, the current overload device can serve as a disconnect.

That's not correct. It's 300 volt-amperes, not 300 volts. There's a big difference.

Does anybody know any better? I have always seen a service disconnect right by the appliance.

As Mike pointed out, the water heater should have either an in-sight disconnect or a locking provision at the out-of-sight disconnect.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

This municipality goes by their amended version of the IRC, and under their code for electric WH they refer to the NFPA70 (2005 NEC). I guess I got a little confused with the Vol-Amp, but either way I noted that this is not a correct installation. (I am sure 4 out of 5 dentist agree...)

Kurt, have you ever seen a switch for a dishwasher in the city? I use to work construction up there, and there were a few Polish and Ukrainian electricians who installed switches for the dishwasher; like right by the switch for the disposer. We always said it must be a European thing.

Originally posted by fqp25

Kurt, have you ever seen a switch for a dishwasher in the city? I use to work construction up there, and there were a few Polish and Ukrainian electricians who installed switches for the dishwasher; like right by the switch for the disposer. We always said it must be a European thing.

There's supposed to be a shutoff for the dishwasher; a lot of guys put them on the countertop, and the cognizant electricians put them down in the sink base.

Let's remember that there have been numerous NEC and other code changes over the years. Unless one knows when a subject installation was installed, has the past code books and is willing to look up the applicable code to back up a finding, I do not think the item should be written up as needing correction.