Ventilated Facades May Be The "New" Thing

hausdok

According to a September article in Residential Architect Online, more and more US architects are beginning to specify ventilated facades - basically a complex multilayer system (similar to a rainscreen) that creates a 3-inch to 7-inch air space around a building - for new construction.

This is a system that home inspectors are going to need to become familiar with, in order to address it competently. To learn more click here.

Originally posted by hausdok

According to a September article in Residential Architect Online, more and more US architects are beginning to specify ventilated facades - basically a complex multilayer system (similar to a rainscreen) that creates a 3-inch to 7-inch air space around a building - for new construction.

This is a system that home inspectors are going to need to become familiar with, in order to address it competently. To learn more click here.

I'd like to go on record as saying that it's the dumbest idea since the Hummer.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

I'd like to go on record as saying that it's the dumbest idea since the Hummer.

I assume you mean for civilians. What do you think it says louder?

A. Boy do I feel seriously inadequate about something.

B. I have this kind of money to waste, so I do.

I'm not terribly clear on what they're proposing either, but I'm automatically suspicious of anything complex. If the contractors have get a lot of details right for it to work...well, that ain't good (take EIFS for example). [:-indiffe

Brian G.

There's How It Should Be, and Then There's The Real World [:-mischie

• 4 months later...