Howdy,,,,,I am new to forum,,,,and un-yet officially in the industry. I have scanned several forum topics and find some great information,,,but also find myself questioning if this is an industry worth investing $2750 to attend a 5 week classroom Home Inspectors training course in prep to take the Texas TREC Professional Real Estate Inspector Lic.. DON"T get me wrong,,,,you guys sound like true pro's and enjoy the profession,,,,but I am still trying to decide my course of events. I for fun took the on-line NACHI 120 question test and made a grade of 81 the first time,,,,,I have no direct training for this career of recent years,,,but am wanting to start part time while I am learning. I am hopeing by taking the Fast Track to learning and earning my state Prof. level lic. this will allow me to find a local firm willing to take on a green-horn wanting to learn and grow in the industry. Please any comments,,,,directions,,,,suggestions would be great!!! THANKS

Hi,

Have you gone back into the archives to look at what's been discussed so far? This kind of stuff gets talked about a LOT here, so if you do a little more digging the same people won't have to re-post it all over again. (I think I'm going to have to write something up and save it on notepad for occasions like this.)

Check out the older threads first. If you don't find what you want, I'm sure someone else will have responded to you in short order. I'll come back later to see what's happening. If nobody has posted by then I'll see what I can do about filling in some blanks for you.

By the way, what is the NHIA exam?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by black72

Howdy,,,,,I am new to forum,,,,and un-yet officially in the industry. I have scanned several forum topics and find some great information,,,but also find myself questioning if this is an industry worth investing $2750 to attend a 5 week classroom Home Inspectors training course in prep to take the Texas TREC Professional Real Estate Inspector Lic.. DON"T get me wrong,,,,you guys sound like true pro's and enjoy the profession,,,,but I am still trying to decide my course of events. I for fun took the on-line NACHI 120 question test and made a grade of 81 the first time,,,,,I have no direct training for this career of recent years,,,but am wanting to start part time while I am learning. I am hopeing by taking the Fast Track to learning and earning my state Prof. level lic. this will allow me to find a local firm willing to take on a green-horn wanting to learn and grow in the industry. Please any comments,,,,directions,,,,suggestions would be great!!! THANKS

Dear Alan:

Reading your post reminded me of when I was first checking into this industry. I tried emailing quite a few individuals to get their opinion but only one was kind (secure) enough to respond. I really wish I saved his email but that was several reloads of Windows ago however, I digress.

First and foremost, seek professional training. Do not fall for the 3 day course at your local "fill in the blank school". ITA is a very good school for home inspectors. Go here for more information -------„³ http://www.home-inspect.com/

You will need to formulate a business plan. Google for more information.

You will need to actively market your new business. This is part in parcel with the business plan.

You will need to thoroughly investigate what the laws are in Texas regarding home inspectors.

You will need to insure your company, E&O as well as general liability insurance. We are a trade of honorable individuals; there is no room for the "fly by nights".

I highly recommend joining an organization such as ASHI or NHIA.

You will need to invest in all the appropriate tools. Reading web sites such as TIJ is a good start.

If you are the sole bread winner in your family you will need to have at least 1.5 years salary in the bank that you can draw off of as your starting your business.

You will need a ravenous appetite for reading/learning. Your clients are depending on your knowledge. They will take you to court for the lack thereof.

Your command of the English language and writing skills are of paramount importance. Do not use ,,,,,,,,,,,, or ........ or ////// in your reports. If you feel that your writing skills are not where they should be then by all means take a course at your local college. Your clients need clear and concise reports. They must also hold up under the intense scrutiny of a disgruntled client and attorney.

You will need to seek legal consul in starting your LLC or Corporation etc.

This is but the tip of the ice burg however, the field is quite rewarding. You will withdraw exactly what you deposit.

Best of luck!

The picture of your nova is grainy, but it looks nice...a 70?

Congratulations on the 81 on the NACHI test,I mean it. It at the very least shows that you have an aptitude for houses. Get a 99 or a 100 on that test each time and you'll probably squeak by on the NHIE.

I've heard the Carson Dunlop course is excellent and it costs around 3000 dollars. I bought most of the course modules on Ebay for 600.

Spending 3000 for an education, another 3000 for equipment and software 3500 for insurance, 2000 for website and cards and brochures, and maybe another 1000 to incorporate and set up shop..it doesn't add up to a lot of money to be in business. You have to make the commitment to find out if it's worth it. There's the rub.

Disclaimer: I've done three inspections total and may not be the best person to offer any advice.

Hi again,

It's Allan, right?

I should probably put together a FAQ section to answer this stuff to make it easier on folks. Without getting too deeply into it, 'cuz I really don't have the energy today, I'll say this:

1. $2500 is not a lot to spend to learn this business. I'm guessing that you're attending a course a couple of hours a couple of evenings a week over that 5 week period, giving you about 35 hours of classroom training. IF it is the typical community college certificate-level course. If you can manage to get some face-to-face mentoring time with a well respected local inspector, you can learn a lot in that time. However, it'll only be scratching the surface. If you really want to learn the business, you should consider something more extensive and in-depth, like the Carson-Dunlop course ($3,000.)combined with hooking up with a pro.

As far as the NACHI entry exam goes - not to take anything away from you - but that is a very, very elementary test of knowledge. I know some inspectors who've had their pre-teen sons and daughters take it and pass it the first time, so it is probably not the best barometer to use to determine whethr it is a field you'll feel comfortable in. You have to absorb a tremendous amount of technical information in this business and keep most of it in your head, while at the same time trying to deal with opposing forces on all sides of the transaction that all have different agendas. It can be daunting at times. However, if you're good with people, have a knack for mechanical issues and a basic understanding of the physical sciences it probably won't be very difficult for you to absorb what you need to know.

Breaking into the business will be tougher however - especially in a state like Texas with so many inspectors already well established in the profession. Breaking in was difficult 8 years ago when there were substantially fewer inspectors than there are now - it won't be a cake walk.

Doesn't TAREI have a convention coming up? Why not go to their convention and pick the brains of a bunch of TAREI guys to get an idea of what you'll be faced with down there, before you begin to invest heavily in time and money? If their's has already passed, I think it could still be worth your while to attend one in another state. That way, you get to see and talk to people one-on-one in real time and face to face. There's no better way, in my opinion, to learn about this business - unless of course it's coming to TIJ. [;)]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hey Terry,,,,first THANK YOU for the time you spent answering in brief my question. I have done my homework very well on this. I am well informed about ITA and the quality teaching they provide,,,,this is in fact the 188 classroom hours course I was refering to for $2750. This will allow me to bypass the lower two state of Texas TREC lic.. I can complete the program in 4.5 weeks and take the Professional level exam right away---then the all important on the job training and experience. I am hoping to find a part time job with a local company in hopes that when the time comes and I am fully wet behind the ears that I can start my own business. I understand about the national assoc.,,,,local groups and marketing. My real concern to the point is the almost constint topic of discussion or it seems so about getting sued,,,and legal actions against home inspectors??????? Do you folks get sued all the time,,,and in what persentage do they collect a damage and for what!?? As to my use of ...,,,,//// simply a form of speeding up internet letters,,,,BUT your observation well noted--THANKS!

Chad...thanks for your input on the schools. And the car is a 1972 Chevelle. Have that street cruiser ride and a 1965 Chevy Impalia Station Wagon and one of my sons another 72' Chevelle semi-drag race car.

Mike...thanks for the details on your exp. on the business,this is just what I want to hear from you guys. i know it gets tiring answering questions like this from guys like me just getting my feet wet,,but I want to do it right!! Thanks for any encouragment in the future.

Thanks all and hope additional members step up and comment also.......I am like a sponge just trying to absorb all I can from you vets. of the business.

In Texas you only have a few options in getting licensed and that will be changing drastically in the next few months when the education hours required go up to around 300 hours to get in.

Many guys are busting their butts right now to get in under the existing rules. Unless they're from Texas (I was) most of these guys returning your posts don't have a real clue on what YOU have to do to get licensed down there.

You seem to have a good handle on the options right now - (1) take a few week long classes, pass their test and work for a licensed inspector for about 150 inspections, etc

or (2) take more classes (188 hours), pass their test and sponsor yourself (if you have verifiable background in certain fields).

We're in a complaint ladden and liability ladden business. Three weeks ago I got a call from a lady I did an inspection for 5 years ago. She's selling her house and the buyers got the chimney checked by a chimney sweep with a tele-cam and it has cracks in the flue. According to her she's only built a few fires in it over the past 5 years and 4 months she's lived there so I MUST HAVE MISSED the CRACKS 5 years ago. How do I want to pay for it.

I dug out a copy of her old report (man did I go through storage files to find that) and - I had told her 5 years ago there was no rain cap, the mortar was missing and deteriorating at the firebox and chimney, there were loose bricks in the firebox and the flue was not visible due to a wood fire in the fireplace. I suggested she get it repaired/checked prior to closing.

She obviously didn't. When I called her back with the good news that I hadn't missed diddly, she started on the - her uncle is an attorney it will cost me a lot to defend this in court and I better offer her some moola -

Thats when you make a business decision. I took a deep breath and told her my 1st job out of college was working in the claims department of an insurance company and to start with I had thought she was just a whiny baby, but now it was absolutely clear she is getting involved in attempted INSURANCE FRAUD and if I ever heard from her again I would go after her & uncle on that basis and then hung up.

Today I received a VERY POLITE apology letter from her uncle telling me how sorry she was and intended no threat or harm.

Yes we have some whiny, crappy buyers that try and get you to pay for anything, but overall its fun.

Dan Bowers

Hi Alan,

When I took the NACHI on-line exam it was 100 questions; I scored 93 in 30 mins. and for that reason decided to not pursue joining that particular org. I believe our standards need to be higher than that.

Another thought re: gaining knowledge. See if you can spend some time with HVAC, electric, plumbing, or whatever tradespeople. They might only be doing a service call for something simple, but most will answer your questions and steer you right if you buy the coffee.

I grew up building/remodeling and have read, read, read for years. I truly enjoy sharing my knowledge with my clients. This is a serious business and we perform a valuable service. We may even be preventing injury or death because we strive to ensure safe homes for our clients.

Best of luck.

Originally posted by rosreservv

Hi Alan,

When I took the NACHI on-line exam it was 100 questions; I scored 93 in 30 mins. and for that reason decided to not pursue joining that particular org. I believe our standards need to be higher than that.

Bob,

Man, what are you saying here? You wouldn't belong to an organization that would accept someone like you? Then how do you plan to get into an organization that wouldn't accept someone like you?

You are a very complex individual, I think that must be why I like you.

George