IL license renewals down by 50+%

Good news for me - I made it through my first year, and I'd call it a success- even my sceptical wife said my new profession is work out better then she thought. I got a call yesterday from a real estate office that I have never visited, asking me to drop by some cards/brochures, when i did I was surprissed to find only 2 other HI brochures on the table. So lets see around 2300 homes sold each month in this county divided by 3 inspectors x $300 per inspection MAN I should make around $22 million a month next year - guess I better hire a CPA.

Hey Mark;

If you think 766 X 300 = 22 Million, then YES, you'd better hire that CPA.

Eric, last year around here it looked like for every company that went out, 2 new ones came in; or maybe that one didn't go out, maybe he got nailed with a lawsuit and just changed his name....

Darren

Not to worry, Mark! With the 2.76 million you will make, you can hire me.[:-slaphap

Originally posted by Darren

Hey Mark;

If you think 766 X 300 = 22 Million, then YES, you'd better hire that CPA.

Eric, last year around here it looked like for every company that went out, 2 new ones came in; or maybe that one didn't go out, maybe he got nailed with a lawsuit and just changed his name....

Darren

Well apparently I hit a nerve with someone and it started some research. This is an email that was sent to me last night. Apparently the Illinois renewals are on the way up, it's just taking some time. They are still way off.

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:52:11 -0600

Subject: Re: FW: FREA makes a deal with the Devil!

X-Originating-IP: 66.245.129.115

To: "Jay Z. Balin"

Jay:

As of today we have 3319 licensed home inspectors. I don't know where this Scott Patterson person got those numbers! I received an update this afternoon from staff -- 1873 have been renewed as of today. The numbers will be "adjusted" at the end of this month as they were two years ago. With the late, late mailing of the renewals and limited staff I'm sure not everyone made it by the deadline of November 30th. (Considering how many we suspect are still unlicensed I don't think anyone is too scared. No bogeyman is coming after anyone!)

Jack

• 4 months later...

I am qualified to say, from personal knowledge, that there is a reduction in renewals of Illinois licenses.....but not a reduction in inspectors.

The law in Illinois is ambiguous and lacks enforcement. Several folks are simply ignoring the law and real estate salesmen are going along with it. I think I stumbled across "why".

An acquaintance asked me to do an Illinois inspection. I explained I was not licensed in Illinois and declined. He had his agent call me who explained that he had an Illinois inspector who would "sign off" the inspection for me if I would do it.

So here is an Illinois inspector in cahoots with a real estate salesman to get "whoever" to do an inspection.

Licensing solves nothing.

Licensing solves nothing.

J. H. Bushart

Maybe in your unlicensed State, that's true. Here in Florida, every tradesperson is Licensed.

HVAC system needs service?

Call a Licensed HVAC technician.

Roof need repairs?

Call a Licensed Roofer.

Electrical items need repair?

Call a Licensed Electrican.

Plumbing system have problems?

Call a Licensed Plumber.

Septic system issues?

Call a Licensed Septic Contractor.

Swimming pool has issues?

Call a Licensed Pool Contractor.

Clearly, where one lives can affect the recommendations of an HI.

"Licensing solves something".

Dom.

Minor drift but... In MO you do mot have to have a license to be a contractor, no big news to a lot of us, however you should see the look on John Q's face when i tell them that in MO I have to be licensed to cut your hair, but not to build your next home.

Until contractors have to get licensed, HI's probably wont either.