Any Ideas How to SAVE Money

Yes.

1.) I learn.

2.) Money spent on advertising that didn't work is not wasted again.

3.) I have enough tools (toys). Don't buy more (hard to follow).

4.) Don't give membership fees to unethical scam artists who are only out for themselves.

5.) Don't buy donuts for RE types. Ok, that might not increase my bottom line, but I don't have to take as many showers.

6.) I read good books rather than taking courses. I find too many seminars/classes that slow the learning process. I can read! Good books? I discover them through smart friends. Smart friends? They are a gift from heaven. They know who they are.

Originally posted by randynavarro

Always seems like a good time of year to re-tool, re-think, tweak or generally re-vamp my inspection process, all with the intent of "working smarter, not harder".

All the ideas I come up with always end up costing money, not saving it.

Anybody ever save money to increase your bottom line?

Do not print reports, send them via email!

Do not put your reports in binders. They just get thrown away or used for the kids school projects.

Do not take candy or donuts to the real estate offices.

Do not join multiple organizations just for their Internet find-a-inspector search.

Do not subscribe to get rich quick ideas.

Do not .................... Just think for a moment and fill in the blank!

I had a business number with voice mail, call forwarding, etc.

I used the number portability act to transfer my business line number to my cell phone and did away with the wired phone. That let me get the business number as my cell phone number.

BellSouth wanted about $60.00 a month for a business line and I had to have the cell phone too.

Now everything goes to the cell phone. Yeah, there are times I can't get a signal or can't answer it but the cell phone voice mail picks up when I can't.

Now if I could convince my family that they don't need cable TV or internet access at home, I'd buy an air card for the laptop and do away with the cable bill too!

Pay cash for everything. If you carry a credit card balance, or make payments on anything, you're just pi$$ing your money away!

My wife set me straight when we got married 12 years ago. NO DEBT! It's hard at first, but now it's a way of life.

If you don't have the money in the bank, don't buy it. No excuses. The only thing we don't own is our home and that will be paid off in 2-5 years.

Originally posted by chrisprickett

If you don't have the money in the bank, don't buy it. No excuses.

You betcha. Consumer debt is what kills most folks finances.

If you can accelerate the house payoff, you can essentially put an extra couple hundred grand in the bank for that time period.

Bill K., what did you wind up buying? And will it carry a 24' ladder? My 2003 Tundra sucks up gas like crazy, but I can't sell it till 2008 without forfeiting the SUV tax write-off that was in effect at the time.

Erby, nice talking with you the other night. With the elimination of your business line, doesn't that mean you're also eliminated from phone books?

Don't advertise in the paper yellow pages. A waste of money. Internet yellowpages is different.

Vehicle, Scion xb, about 28-29 mpg with two ladders on top. Both the 12' and 23'(little giant knock-off) fold to 6' and easily fit on the luggage rack. Plenty of room for tools, computers, etc. inside in the dry.

I wasn't asking to be contentious, Jim. I was actually curious. One of the idiotic things I find myself doing is checking out the luggage racks on other vehicles and wondering if tethering a ladder to the racks would turn the ladder into a see-saw teetering back and forth on a too-small fulcrum.

It's a very real concern. Most roof racks are secured to the thin sheet metal of the roof w/an expanding "pop" rivet. I haul a 28' every day, and have a 40' for the strange stuff. I've torn up a lot of roof racks.

Every day use can really rip up a roof rack. Even my Xterra, which has very beefy racks, has been torn up.

I even had a roof rack lift off like an airplane once when I was carring a stack of surfboards; the boards were placed upside down (we now know that's NOT how to carry surfboards @ expressway speeds), and the curved surface behaved just like a wing & lifted the damn thing right off. We heard a noise, couldn't figure out what it was, then I saw this thing twirling through the air in my rear view mirror. Oooops. Thankfully, no one was hurt, and the boards survived w/repairable dents & scratches.

(Mercedes Benz has conducted experiments showing the proper way to carry boards is right side up, tail first.)

"Bill K., what did you wind up buying? And will it carry a 24' ladder? My 2003 Tundra sucks up gas like crazy,..."

It's a Chevy Trailblazer. Probably about the same gas mileage as your Tundra, but MUCH better than the 8 mpg I got with the van.

I don't have any problems with the rack (or the factory racks on 3 prior GM vehicles) carrying a 28', 20' and 8' step. The rack I've added (for extra height) is attached to the Trailblazer's original tracks.

200714163014_tb.JPG%20

Get one of those recycled plastic "Noodles" the kids use at the swimming pool ($3.00). Cut it into 1" sections. Cut those in 1/2 (like a half-mood), and stuff them into the ends (both ends) of the ladder rungs. Quiets 'em right down.

Mine is a heavy tube type bolted to the roof of my topper (95 Dakota). The inside supports a 6' from the roof. The outside holds a 24' and 13'. Fiberglass only please... I want to live.

Locked, secure and quiet.

I love it.

PWC

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif truck.jpg

47.25 KB

Like Brian I filled the ends of my fiberglass 24 when I bought it. I only load it when needed. My cosco "little giant" is on the back of the Yukon on a 2 bike carrier. Since I sold the P/U with a weekender ladder rack I can not carry my aluminum 40' any more. I only used it a couple of times inspecting anyway.

Usually I can do the multiple ladder thing to get on anything. I had a glass 28 until about a year ago. But it grew legs. The 24 was almost new at a pawn shop and I love a deal. It will only hit the fascia on most two stories but I can live with that. I've always preferred to use a stand off but the 24 won't let that happen.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Ladder.jpg

32.2 KB

This post could be inserted in tons of threads, but has anyone tried voice recognition software as a means by which to simply dictate "boilerplate" or customize comments for a particular house/situation? I bought IBM's Via-Voice a couple of months ago, but time constraints have prevented me from installing it so far. Allegedly, the program can scour your existing files to learn job-specific terms like weephole, heat exchanger, etc., so that they get spelled properly.

But . . . I assume if programs like these worked well and didn't necessitate constant corrections due to misinterpreting wear/ware/where, we'd all already be using them by now.

I'm gonna install Via Voice soon and perform my first beta on it. I'll let you know.

Originally posted by randynavarro

Always seems like a good time of year to re-tool, re-think, tweak or generally re-vamp my inspection process, all with the intent of "working smarter, not harder".

All the ideas I come up with always end up costing money, not saving it.

Anybody ever save money to increase your bottom line?

Keep good business records.

Take advantage of the many benefits of being in your own business (retirement plans, tax write-offs, etc..)

A smart accountant is a good investment.

Use a credit card that offers perks for no additional costs (ie-a gas company card that credits a percentage back towards your fuel purchases) and pay off the monthly bill in full.

• 2 weeks later...
How does the phone company pick up your number for the phone books ...

Phone number for phone books is the one you have set up service with traditional "land-line" telco. IE: at&t, Verizon, etc. (at&t in lower-case on purpose). That would be the number you pay the monthly bill for to have dial-tone at your home/office. If you auto-forward that to your cell or vice-versa ... makes no difference. That billing number is what gets put in directories unless you pay for unlisted or unpublished numbers.

Your cell number typically won't show up in any similar directory.