Unique Techniques

Bill Kibbel

Always keep a radio in my tool box and leave it on when I'm alone. That way nobody's suprised when I crawl out of the attic.

Always wear hard soled house slippers. Just taking them out impresses the ladies. Using them probably has more to do with hiding the possible condition of my socks.

Never park in the driveway (some exceptions, but not many).

Never park in front of the house.

Always use 2 of those orange cones to draw attention to my truck (more marketing than safety).

Accept credit cards. PayPal couldn't make it any easier (check out my site).

Always get a signed inspection agreement. No exceptions! I start by directing them to my web site to down-load, read and sign one. When they get to the inspection without it I hand them one, ask them to read and sign and don't accept it back until after I'm done.

Always walk the roof (with the exception of snow, extreem hight, tooooo steep, wood shingles).

Always respond to pissed-off clients.

Enjoy what you're doing. If you don't... do something else.

PWC

1) I like the Jerry Peck trick of testing ceramic tile with a golf ball:

"Plink"… "Plink"… "PLOINK..."...

Even Realtors get it the first time they hear a "PLOINK".

I have a nice orange one I picked up somewhere - I test two or three likely looking tiles in each room, if I find a bad tile, I turn the client loose with it..

2) I have a 1x1â€

Sounds to me like its a technique I call "sounding". . . ummmm, yes a repeat of words.

I've never thought of a golf ball but it sounds like it would work well. Basically, you're taking a hard object and tapping on the tile to listen if its fully bedded in the mortar.

If it isn't it'll sound 'hollow' whereas the others should sound 'solid'.

A large steel bearing also works but you can't so much tap it - it might crack a tile. You more or less drag it across the tile to listen for the same hollow-ness.

I guess this is where a golf ball may be better, cuz I don't think I'd worry so much about breaking a tile. You can acutally bounce the golf ball - no way with a steel bearing. You can also use the sphere (bearing or ball) to set on counters, floors, etc to see if it'll roll indicating out-of-level.

I use the back or front end of my mini Surefire flashlight which I always have with me. Its hard aluminum and does the same as a steel bearing - except for rolling off of counters!

The other hard object I always have on me are my knuckles. I use them much more than I should and worry about some sort of debilitating disfigurement from rapping on too many shower walls, floors and counters.

I drag a Seven Iron across the tiles. CLINK CLINK CLINK CLONK! I use the base of my Ultra-Stinger on tubs. I just drag it over the tiles. For you ASHI members, Frank Lesh has a Pod Cast that you can download on the members section of the website. It shows him testing wall tiles with a flashlight. It really works. He will be adding a new Pod Cast Tip every month.

Golf balls can be problematic if they bounce under something or onto something like a Waterford vase!

I just drop the golf ball from a bit below waist height and catch it on the bounce - never had a problem with missing the catch and it bounces to less than counter height - something with a handle would be faster and more controllable, but the gold ball takes up little space in my bag.

OTOH, now you’ve got me thinking about something for walls... perhaps a xylophone mallet?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document ... 56&index=2

I use the base of my Ultra-Stinger on tubs. I just drag it over the tiles. For you ASHI members, Frank Lesh has a Pod Cast that you can download on the members section of the website. It shows him testing wall tiles with a flashlight. It really works.

I loved Frank's podcast. I tried his flashlight trick for the first time today on 45 year old 1" X 3" tiles in a tub surround.

Dragging the Ultra-Stinger turned up nothing. Then I did my old tried and true knuckle raps and found a loose tile. I dragged the flashlight back and forth over that area again, and couldn't pick out any difference in sound when it went over the loose tile. Maybe there's a learned art to hearing the difference.

Although I think I'll stick with my knuckles, I'm still looking forward to next month's podcast and tip o' the month.

Originally posted by Les

Use a piece of paper folded in half for testing downdraft range tops. Real high tech!

Yeah, I usually turn on the overhead fan switch in the bath, put the lid up on the john and then step up on the rim and make a crack, "Your Inspector Inc. spares no cost when it comes to using the very latest exhaust fan testing equipment," as I put a piece of toilet paper up under that exhaust fan grill and it gets sucked up against the grill or falls to the floor 'cuz the thing is kinked or blocked.

Cracks 'em up every time.

OT - OF!!!

M.