Distressed Paneling or Infestation?

dtontarski

This paneling was installed in an enclosed porch in a 100+ year old home in Rochester New York. Is this just a distressed style of paneling, or could this be evidence of some type of wood destroying pest? This is on an elevated porch that has been completely sealed up on the exterior with vinyl siding and metal cladding. There was no (observable)evidence of pest anywhere else in the home - there was significant carpenter bee damage to the garage fascia boards - There were water stains along the wall adjacent to the drip edge on the porch - I'm speculating some type of ice damming damage. Has any one seen this type of paneling? Should I recommend further analysis by a bug guy? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Distressed Paneling 1.jpg

88.29 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Distressed Paneling 2.jpg

85.64 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Distressed Paneling 3.jpg

82.81 KB

Hi,

It looks to me like wood that was milled after infestation of a wood fungus - pocket rot or something like that. I see wood like that every once in a while and as scary as it looks have never found any frass or wetness or anything else to support the idea that it's an infestation. It always appears to have been milled after infestation. If so, the kiln drying prior to planing would have killed any organisms.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi,

It looks to me like wood that was milled after infestation of a wood fungus - pocket rot or something like that. I see wood like that every once in a while and as scary as it looks have never found any frass or wetness or anything else to support the idea that it's an infestation. It always appears to have been milled after infestation. If so, the kiln drying prior to planing would have killed any organisms.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Yes. That's what it looks like to me.

Lonnie Anderson (the WDO guru, not the actress) calls this pocket rot and stresses that we shouldn't be reporting on it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon