Old Boiler

randynavarro

Well, we don't frame our floors with joists. . .

- Jim Katen, Oregon

BTW, my company's name is Benchmark Inspection Services.

How do you frame your floors? Timberframing? You guys don't have much in the way of hardwoods out there right? That would be very strange for me.

Yes, Benchmark seems to be very popular, but too late It's been established over a few years now so I'm stuck with it at least until I pickup and move to another state.

Originally posted by Kyle Kubs

How do you frame your floors? Timberframing? You guys don't have much in the way of hardwoods out there right? That would be very strange for me.

We use 4x6 or 4x8 girders on four-foot centers and deck over them with 2x6 car decking (t&g hemlock) it makes for a very solid feeling floor underfoot. Confuses the heck out of inspectors who come here from out of state.

Yes, Benchmark seems to be very popular, but too late It's been established over a few years now so I'm stuck with it at least until I pickup and move to another state.

It's been a decent name for me. But as Chris pointed out in another thread, the name of the business has limited importance. It's the person that folks remember.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi Kyle,

Follow the link below to the American Wood Council site to download a free 40-page guide in PDF format entitled Plank and Beam Framing for Residential Buildings and you can get a better understanding of the system. It's pretty common out this way.

http://www.awc.org/pdf/wcd4.pdf

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hey Mike,

Cool link. Out here we call it timberframing. Unfortunetley I don't get to see too much of it here, but I am familiar with it. I actually have plans on building a timberframe home for myself "someday"

Makes me wonder whats out here that I think is totally common that you guy's would think is odd...

18" cubes of asbestos! thats a new one to me, thank god.