Garage Door opener not on dedicated outlet

Mark P

A garage door opener plugged into an extension cord, the cord is neatly fastened every 2' to the ceiling and down the wall where it is plugged into a wall outlet. I know the door should be on a dedicated outlet and the extension cord should not be used as permanent wiring. Can someone take a minute to explain to me “whyâ€

It's wise to have the door operator on a dedicated outlet, but it isn't required by code. The dopiest "okay" installation, I think, is when the opener outlet is wired into the same circuit as the GFCIs.

I saw the configuration you described once in a house owned by a cop. The ceiling outlet--intended for the opener plug--wasn't being used, and instead the opener was plugged into a long extension cord inserted in a wall outlet. The cop saw me hefting a ladder to check the ceiling outlet, and said, "Oh, that thing works okay. I'm on the night shift, and like to have my wife unplug the opener for safety reasons when I'm not home." Borderline paranoic, indeed. But also pretty clever.

It is also wise to plug into a ceiling outlet. Just in case the opener breaks away it has a good chance to unplug itself so it doesn't flop around on the floor.

I made that recommendation recently on a house that had a detached garage with an opener and a light on an extension cord from the house. I almost gave the Do-It-Yourself-er a little credit, 'cause at least he used outdoor grade extension cord.

I should say; I made that recommendation for a ceiling outlet, along with having the garage properly wired. And installing a new opener with proper safety measures. The one I inspected was old, it had a simulated wood grain label.

Originally posted by Bain

It's wise to have the door operator on a dedicated outlet, but it isn't required by code.

OK,

Well, maybe it doesn't specifically state it for a garage door opener, but how do you get around 400-7 "Flexible cords and cables not to be used in lieu of permanent wiring methods?"

210-52a allows a 6ft. cord on the appliance, but after that you have to plug into permanent wiring. How do you do that with an extension cord without violating 400-7?

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by AHIS

A garage door opener plugged into an extension cord, the cord is neatly fastened every 2' to the ceiling and down the wall where it is plugged into a wall outlet. I know the door should be on a dedicated outlet and the extension cord should not be used as permanent wiring. Can someone take a minute to explain to me “whyâ€