Termites in an attic

Check out the termite activity on the top of the drywalled garage ceiling. These aren't shelter tubes, they're shelter suburbia. A few of the rafters had even been destroyed. Is this an anomaly, or is there a name for it? These big puddles of termite poop?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSC07089a.jpg

234.03 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSC07090a.jpg

220.68 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSC07091a.jpg

215.26 KB

Said realtor chick would have likely tried to "save the deal" had a client been buying this house. She, however, is gonna run away like a striped ass ape.

I, personally, have found the "striped ass ape" quite appealing. That particilar ass characteristic quality is found only in the female baboons. If you find a realtor with her ass painted in stripes, please let me know.

• 11 months later...
Originally posted by Bain

These aren't shelter tubes, they're shelter suburbia. A few of the rafters had even been destroyed. Is this an anomaly, or is there a name for it? These big puddles of termite poop?

The droppings are called frass. Activity in an attic is entirely normal--if they aren't stopped first. They always build tunnels as high UP into the home as they can get. Once a year, they swarm. Some of them grow wings and jump off the building, flying until their tired little wings fall off. (I'm not making this up.) Wherever they land, they try to start a new colony.

Hi,

Well, not exactly. They leave the building in search of food sources. Within a few days of swarming, they shed their wings. However, the wings don't fall off in flight; the termites have been landed several days by then. Those that have found a food source will try to start a new colony but most of the swarm will have become prey to other insects, birds, small mammals, and exterminators.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

You mean the Orkin Man lied to me? Say it ain't so!

WDI reports are not a part of our inspection protocol here. I ran into an Orkin guy on a job and he told me that story. There was no hint that he was pulling my leg, so I assume he believed it.

One of these days I'll learn not to believe what others who "should" know tell me...

Kevin,

I'll be the nice guy and tell you the rest of your comments are wrong. Mike is just too darn nice!

How would you like to have the TIJ gang come to Little Rock for a mini-conference and general snake oil dance? I'm serious - Little Rock in May would be nice!

Just to keep this serious, please don't tell Phillip Smith this plan is taking place.

When the time is right, the "swarmers" or "alates" fly off in search of a nest nest. The most common way to discover a termite infestation is to find the wings after the swarm. If they are inside the house, you can be reletivly sure the place is already infested. If the wings are outside, the colony usually isn't too far away.

Amazing that this thread was resurrected today--the chick who owned the house filed a complaint with the state licensing board 'cause the buyer walked. I received the certified envelope with the bad news while home for lunch this afternoon.

She had an attorney write a letter threatening a lawsuit a few months ago, and I thought the crap was over when he never responded to the letter I shot back.

Originally posted by Les

Kevin,

I'll be the nice guy and tell you the rest of your comments are wrong. Mike is just too darn nice!

How would you like to have the TIJ gang come to Little Rock for a mini-conference and general snake oil dance? I'm serious - Little Rock in May would be nice!

Just to keep this serious, please don't tell Phillip Smith this plan is taking place.

les, why not tell me?[:-weepn][:-angel][;)]

First of all, what I am now trying to figure out now is how this old post showed up under new posts when I logged on today. I certainly didn't go trolling for old posts to reply to. I didn't look at the actual date or I would not have responded. Weird.

And Les--

Y'all are welcome here for a conference anytime. Drinks at my place. Phillip is welcome here also -- my wife's family is from Alabama; I don't hold it against them. (Family reunions on her side can be a bit scary though.) Even Brian can come since he apparently has a way of attracting scantily clad ladies.

Oh yeah...Mike had already told me what I said was wrong, except the "frass" part. Don't accuse him of being nice. I think it might upset him...

Next time I'll verify my facts before regurgitating what I've been told by "knowledgeable" sources.

Amazing that this thread was resurrected today--the chick who owned the house filed a complaint with the state licensing board 'cause the buyer walked. I received the certified envelope with the bad news while home for lunch this afternoon.

She had an attorney write a letter threatening a lawsuit a few months ago, and I thought the crap was over when he never responded to the letter I shot back.

John, what are they "alleging" you did wrong?

She had someone else check out the house after I'd taken a look. His handwritten report contained phrases like, "This thirty-year-old house is in fine condition for its age." And "the kitchen is in good condition for its age." She's using his report to discount everything I said was wrong with the house.

She had someone else check out the house after I'd taken a look. His handwritten report contained phrases like, "This thirty-year-old house is in fine condition for its age." And "the kitchen is in good condition for its age." She's using his report to discount everything I said was wrong with the house.

Hey, if you(or your attorney) need a litigation consultant I'm only a couple hours away!! Glad to help if I can.

Please tell me you have lots more lovely photos, documenting all the noteworthy items in your report. They're worth 1,000 words each y'know. [:-bigeyes

Brian G.

Document, Document, Document; We All Have a Nut Out There, Somewhere, With Our Name on Them [:-boggled