Hip Rafter Issues

Martin Lehman

I am having a hard time coming up with the correct diagnosis for the hip rafter framing.

Suggestions please??

The roof is framed primarily with trussses but for the hips and rafters.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif RoofFraming.JPG

6.5 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif RoofFraming2.jpg

45.02 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif RoofFraming3.jpg

33.76 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif RoofFraming4.jpg

58.79 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif RoofFraming5.jpg

51.24 KB

Pretty hilarious.

Though not as bad, there's a mass-production company in Kentucky that utilizes a similar style--meaning trusses down the middle and 2" x 6"s laid edge-wise to create the hips on the sides. I showed my ass once, got the city inspection officials involved, explained why it was crappy, actually got the city peeps to back me up, which resulted in the quasi-condemnation of several houses. But . . . big builder generated a ton of paperwork from structural engineers saying the framing was totally okay, and won. I still see the same awful stuff on a regular basis, and keep my big, opinionated mouth shut.

But it's hard.

John

Yea, I have seen that crap done a number of times. The muni's say its wrong but won't write it up.

I write it up but I usually get really nasty calls from the builder. The jack asses all say the same thing. It past at the framing inspection so they don't have to touch it.

I have talked to several different jurisdictions and they say its wrong but I don't understand then why they won't write it up for correction.

Chris, Oregon

I would classify and file this under CLUSTERF_ _ KS!.But... with all the "agree, but don't do anything about it" from the building dept.'s, How do you deal with a situation like this?

I believe I would write it up anyway. But, if this is "acceptable industry standard" would I be wrong? Would my remarks just be classified as my personal preferance and "FACT" be that it is "ACCEPTABLE"

Poor workmanship is right. It's hard to stick frame when your use to installing manufactured trusses all day long...

Joe Blow Builder: "Ah what's a bird's mouth???"

I see that around my parts as well. Sometimes I think the only thing holding it all together is the 1/2 inch OSB.