One Riser - Two Meters

randynavarro

Yes, John the lines are overhead but there isn't a splice - just three cables running thru the weatherhead and down the mast. Sorry I didn't clarify originally.

The meters are in separate enclosures. The service mast enters right through the middle, or the "seam" of the two boxes. That means the sides of the boxes had to be butchered, I assume, to bring in the cables and then splice them.

I'm just not familiar enough with the hardware for this configuration to comment intelligently.

I just told the client it looked weird to me and have an electrician verify that its adequate. No problem for me to admit I don't know everything!!

Hi,

Yeah, I've seen them too - on duplexes, triplexes and fourplexes. The whole thing is designed for two meters. The only place there are two meter enclosures is at the front where there are two separate doors, but the rest is a single stamped/braked piece of metal with a single myers hub through the top and a pair of buses feeding the meter sockets and another for a ground connection. Most of the time they're sealed, but occasionally I find them unsealed and peek inside.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by randynavarro

I'm not familiar with this configuration. I haven't come across it before.

Shouldn't there be some sort of separate enclosure to house the splice that was made at the service conductors which then feeds the two meters?

Are the meter base enclosures themselves rated for splices?

Sorry, but I've never seen one like that before. Mike's explanation makes the most sense to me.

Shoot the picture to your local POCO and ask them to tell you about it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon