Sellers Are Entitled To Reports in La-La Land

hausdok

Oregon has that clause built into their EMA's should the buyer back out because of the inspection, the seller is to be provided a copy of the report in a reasonable amount of time.

My report and the contract trys to cover this senario but it does make me wonder what would happen if the contract between the client and the inspector prohibits passing the inspection report to the seller.

I doubt that most buyers would realize the conflict when signing.

Chris, Oregon

I have no objection to anyone reading or reviewing my reports; I don't care who it is. If the report is good product, it's accurate, factual, and defensible. Heck, I get a lot of work from 3rd, 4th, and 5th parties who've read my reports & think they're pretty good, so they want me to do their inspections.

The problem is who might rely on the report in the future, and act on that reliance. Therein lies the rrrruubbb, laddie.

Yep, what Kurt said.

But I get real nervous when the agents know better and push the 3rd party client to rely on mine or any on elses report usually because certain conditions have already been negotiated with the seller as a result. It saves them a lot of trouble as the next inspector might spin things a little different and scare the client.

I can imagine two different inspection reports both done by competent inspectors both with reasonable opinions that differ significantly.

Chris, Oregon