IR again

allspec33351

I went to a seminar given by Flir this morning and I didn't buy one.

Two reasons for not buying, one is simple and that is they are coming out with new models in August and two I just can't seem to figure out as to where does this technology belongs in our profession.

signquestion3xd.gif

Theses cameras give you a lot of information and if you in return give it to your everyday home buyer it will confuse and confound them.

I guess I'll just wait until I can find the right application or when my wife leaves me.

d6954bbe44b0aa08f2efed9c7284ce9f.gif

Captain

Inspectors are also getting into trouble by not correctly interpreting the results. They are telling folks that they have water leaks when it might be missing insulation or another anomaly that is causing the temperature variations. I think we have some folks among us that are doing EW work involving inspectors who have messed up with their IR cameras.

From what I have seen inspectors become very dependent on their IR camera and at times they can't see the forest because of the trees!

I keep going back and forth on this. Everytime I watch one of those infomercials on the web demonstating the use of IR I start drooling at the mouth like pavlovs dog.

But then I stop and think well wait a second what does that thing really do that I can't already discern with the equipment I have now mostly the nogin.

My fear is getting clients to start calling asking if I have IR cause their last inspector had it and it was really cool.

Chris, Oregon

Chris, and others:

I have been around long enough to know we are all gadget freaks! Gadgets do not an inspector make. Bonnie will love that last sentence.

Kurt, remember XRF's?

Scott, you are right. Many inspectors are in trouble with IR stuff. They are fun and they can be very accurately used. Most of us can't do the work. I am amazed every day that inspectors think they can do MOLD, water testing, lead testing, energy audits, IR, EIFS, consulting, fry up the bacon and get the kids off to school. PS: my keyboard does not have musical notes!

Oh yeah. XRF's. I almost bought one of those, until I determined that lead paint is everywhere in Chicago; it's in the dirt, the alley, the dumpster down the street the kid plays in, and just about anywhere one wants to look.

I'll eventually get IR. I think it is a good idea, but it should be implemented as a stand alone service. I still don't see how it can be used intelligently in the time frames & schedule structure we work in.

As a stand alone service, w/customers that understand the scope & expense, it is one of the few add-on services I'd get involved with.

They have two new cool features.

You impute the outdoor and indoor ambient temperatures and indoors it will show you what areas are close to due point.

The second thing is you can shoot the ceiling and it will tell you if you have the correct amount of insulation.

$6750 and my wife will leave me. I told her it's a lot cheaper than it was... she walked away.

Captain

I would buy one if I thought it could substantially cut the inspection time or if I could charge substantially more. I don't think it would do either. I'm sure it would add to the inspection time. Also may cause a lot of unnecessary cutting into walls, etc. I just see it causing more problems than it solves, even in the best hands.

I wonder if you can see clients naked with it? That would keep the realtors away too!